SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scoobagirl

Can you plant a bare-root rose too HIGH?

scoobagirl
16 years ago

after reading the post about planting bare-roots too LOW (deep), I got a bit concerned about my bare-roots from Parks.

We've had really mild weather, and I soaked them in water for less than 2 weeks, changing the water daily. They were in a shady spot under a pine tree while they soaked. I finally got the chance to pot them up (hubby was nagging that they would die if left in the water so long) and I put them in with the bud-union just above the soil level. I used good potting soil (not potting mix) and they are in 18-quart pots (they are big).

I watered and pressed the potting soil down several times to make sure there aren't dry holes in the pots. Now the pots are sitting in a place that gets morning and some early afternoon sun, not the heat-of-the-day sun though. (I think its a good spot) I also pruned the canes about 1/4" down and they are alive, and look healthy. I'm making sure they stay moist but not soggy - the drainage from the pots goes out to the ground below.

How long till they put on leaves and start to grow? What should I expect? And is it ok that the bud-union is not underground? I thought it was bad to put the bud-union under the soil? I can still re-pot if I need to. I'd appreciate some advice, please... I can't let them die because my hubby will gloat.... :)

thanks!

Jeri in Texas

Comments (9)