SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macky77

Update on daughter's new tank and water questions

macky77
15 years ago

Well, I think we're through the initial cycling process. :)

Levels two weeks ago:

pH: 8.2 GH: 160 KH: 120 Ammonia: less than 0.6 Nitrites: greater than 3.3 (highest colour on their chart)

Levels today:

pH: 8.2 GH: 120 KH: 90 Ammonia: 0 Nitrites: 0

Ammonia, nitrite and pH levels are pretty easy to understand, but I'm still confused on how to interpret the GH and KH numbers. If someone could tell me if my numbers are good or bad or what the heck they mean, that would be wonderful. I like to think I'm pretty bright, but I never did well with chemistry (give me physics or trig any day), so this is all going over my head. I need as simple an explanation as you can give me, lol!

My only real remaining concern is how alkaline the pH is. I read that Harlequin Rasboras (what we were recommended here and plan on getting) like their water on the acidic side - 6.5 to 7.2. Since we have distilled water in the house anyway (hubby is under doc's orders to drink only distilled because of a past health issue), I thought I'd try diluting the tap water with it. I read that you can do that to lower pH and since this is only a 6-gallon tank, the cost is acceptable. I've been using a half-and-half mix for my last two partial changes, but I'm not seeing any change in the tank's pH (I test it a couple of days after the water change). Is this because the tap water already in there is buffering it? (This is the relationship I'm not understanding.) Do I need to use 100% distilled for the partial changes until the tank pH lowers and then go to 50/50? Mixing 50/50 in a glass and then testing that (no tank contact, direct from bottle and tap) results in a perfectly neutral pH 7.0.

We are still fishless. Our next trip to the city is in three weeks and we'll be picking up the Harlequin Rasboras then. My plants are doing well since I picked up proper fertilizers. The bacopa carolina is going nuts and even the little pinkish unidentified one (possibly rotala of some sort?) has new leaves. The dwarf amazon sword is slow but steady and the mondo grass (which I learned afterwards isn't even an aquatic plant) is sprouting well. I've got those brown algae diatoms, but I read that time and regular cleaning and water changes should take care of them, so I'm not worried.

Birdwidow, I did get a barage of little snails with the plants. The tiny things showed up about a week after I put the plants in. I squashed everything I saw for three days and haven't seen any new ones and it's been nearly three weeks now.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County