SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

Overwintering phlox in clay plus dogs destroying garden

Karolina11
11 years ago

Two questions -

1. Recently fell in love with a few varieties of Phlox paniculata - Becky Tower and Laura to name a few. Santa Rosa has a few other varieties at a discount and I was going to pick up at least one of each and experiment. However, I have amended clay soil so am wondering how well these overwinter in that condition before I go crazy ordering. I do amend holes with peat moss and miracle gro garden soil and do put compost and mulch on top but the soil does stay on the moister side. I have not lost any plants to this yet this growing season but this will be my first winter here so am worried about how it will affect the overwintering effort.

2. My two goldens are usually good about staying out of the beds but they must have seen something under the deck and managed to go after it through my shade and part sun beds. The following are trampled or broken: hostas, phlox, heuchera, anemone, ferns, amongst a few other things. My thoughts are that at this point in the season, this should not affect the overwintering on these plants. However, most of them are broken completely clean off at ground level. Should these still be okay or should I plan on these not making it? Anything I can do or should I just keep my fingers crossed?

Thanks for the advice!

Comments (17)