SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Sycamore trouble. All my fault???

Hi guys, really hope you can help me with this, as it has been troubling me.

Ok, I have this large Sycamore (American) in the front yard. It is about 25-30 years old, so pretty darn big! I noticed this year that it is having some problems.

The leaves are smaller than normal (ie in comparison to previous years).

The canopy is not as full as before. The tree blocks my bedroom window. Last year you could not see to the other side of the street because it was so dense. This year I can.

There are also quite a few small, leafless twigs within the tree. Can't remember if this was a normal thing in years past or not.

Early in the spring I dug out grass from under the tree (very poor grass, and hard to mow) to plant a shade garden. Did I make a major mistake in doing this? Do you think the above problems are due to root disturbance in digging around the tree? I only ran into a few small roots while digging, so didn't think much of it. Stupid me!!! If this is the cause, will it perk back up next year? Or should I take out the bed and reseed a lawn under it? It isn't too late to dismantle the garden I put under the tree- would rather loose the plants than the tree!

We did have a late freeze warning/frost before the tree started to leaf out (the freeze killed some of my tender veggies), could that be it? I have noticed in the past few years that the tree has also shed a good deal of its bark, which I assumed was natural for this type of tree to do. Could this be an indication of a bigger problem?

Don't know if it helps, but here are some pics. I can get more if needed.

{{gwi:396064}}

{{gwi:396065}}

PS. as you may see from the picture, there is also some sort issue going on with the foliage. No clue if it is insect or something else.

It has been such a wonderful shade tree that I would hate to loose it. Any advice is much appreciated!!! Thank you.

CMK

Comments (7)