SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acertain

Gaggenau combi-steam fault f62

acertain
11 years ago

I'm mostly posting this in the hope that I might save somebody else some trouble in the future. I bought one of the discontinued ED220 combi-steam ovens for our new kitchen, and when we installed it, calibration failed with fault F62. Googling around yielded a little information, that it meant "Too much heat or too little steam" and suggested that either the heating fan was stuck on or there wasn't enough water. There was clearly plenty of water (and a stuck on fan seemed unlikely), so we were nervous that we might have spent a lot of money on an expensive piece of design art.

I called the person we bought it from and he was very responsive. He put me in touch with their repair department, who sent me a troubleshooting and repair manual for the oven. The manual listed a common cause for F62 from a defective part, but the serial numbers impacted were all earlier than mine. We ran through all the diagnostics from the manual and everything seemed fine. So they called Gaggenau for me, who said that sometimes that fault code can come if you don't have a loop in the waste line.

We had a loop in the waste line, but as I was looking at the installation diagram, I saw the 4" requirement from top of loop to bottom of oven (or to something - it's a little hard to see). While the top of the loop in our installation was 4" below, it was just barely 4", and the install diagram shows it going far below that. So we tried lowering the loop, and everything worked great.

So if anybody else runs into this problem, make sure that the loop in the waste line is low enough. It might save you a week of stress.

If you're interested in picking one of these up while they last, Amazon has three listings as of today, for left hinge aluminum, right hinge aluminum and left hinge stainless. Search for "Gaggenau combi steam" to find them. As a side note, we needed right hinge, so we got the aluminum one, and even my wife, who is super sensitive to colors, thinks it looks great under a stainless microwave and next to a stainless fridge. I put the link to the one we bought below (note they are all sold by the same seller - a builder ordered a bunch right before the crash and they were stuck with them).

Anyway, hope this helps.

Andrew

Here is a link that might be useful: Combi-steam oven

Comments (20)