SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
syrcais

AV dying a slow death...root rot?

wendync
11 years ago

Hey guys,

My african violet has been in the process of death for weeks now. About a month ago, after it had stopped blooming, I decided to repot it out of what it had come in at the store. I actually picked a *smaller* pot, as I thought the original one was a bit big. I mixed 1 part perlite, 1 part peat moss, and 1 part vermiculite -- as I had seen suggested on some AV websites.

Well, it went downhill from there. For whatever reason, the pot wasn't draining like it should and it stayed too wet for maybe a week or two(during which time I was clueless there was a problem). I sort of suspect that the pebble tray it was on was sneakily wicked water into the pot by accident. It started with a single leaf drooping and then drying up. Ok. Then another leaf. And another leaf. I realized there was a problem, so I pulled it out of the soil--found it was too wet, brushed the old stuff away and repotted into a fresh mix--being sure to only water when it was dryish(every 6-7 days). The roots actually looked ok--nothing mushy, just wet.

It has not improved. It has continued to lose all of it's outer leaves, one by one, and started to lose it's medium size leaves now. Probably lost 8 or so leaves now.

In a last ditch attempt to save it, I took it out of it's pot again tonight. Roots still look ok. Mixed a fresh batch of soil and put it in an even smaller 2" pot(which it now fits perfectly in because it's so small...).

I do not know how to save this plant. What should I do? Can it be saved? Thanks!

As you can see in the pic, the front 3 leaves are drooping right now...

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting