SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seedmama

What I learned about Pro Mix

seedmama
15 years ago

If you can't find Pro Mix where you used to, call Premiere's 800 number in Pennsylvania and ask to be connected with the regional sales rep. The sales rep can tell you much more than the automated, incomplete store locator on their website. In some cases, like Oklahoma, they can help you. In others, like Alabama, you are out of luck. (Actually if you are in Oklahoma email me and save yourself and the rep a couple of phone calls).

Before I tell the tale, please note I will not be naming the Big Box stores because not all reflects well on them. Figure it out. If you must drop names, please start another thread.

The big box where I used to buy my Pro Mix realized that 40% of the cost of getting the product in the stores was transportation. They said that was unacceptable and dropped the product without discussion. There was no opportunity to adjust cost, raise price, reformulate or anything else that might have kept this very popular product in the stores. I don't use the word stupid very often, but I think it applies here.

Sadly, it gets better. Another big box store, one which carries a very wide variety of general merchandise in addition to having a garden center, broke the stupid-o-meter. They demanded that Pro Mix be outsourced to China! Just in case you're not picking up on the stupidity here, the main ingredient in Pro Mix is sphagnum peat moss, a natural resource which is mined in Canadian peat bogs.

The people I talked to were very inquisitive about why I would want so much Pro Mix so badly, and inquired as to whether I was a grower or a nursery. When I sheepishly explained I was trying to cover 2 acres in perennials, one milk jug at a time, they were fascinated. And intrigued by a market segment previously unknown to them. I told them there were winter sowers all over America who wanted Pro Mix and wanted it now. If you are one of them, you now have a game plan. Go get it.

Comments (58)

Sponsored