SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Marie Pavie & Daley look like @$@#$%#!

sherryocala
15 years ago

They look worse that awful with yellow/brownish Blackspotty leaves (not naked or even semi-naked though.) They've only been in the ground since December, so I would understand if this is something they will outgrow. If that's the case, I'll hang in with them because the photos I've seen of them are very nice. But if anyone in Florida or the deep south wants to weigh in with their opinions, I would appreciate it. They (4 of them) are in prime locations along my front walk. I'm hoping they'll outgrow it because I need smaller plants for those spots. Even if I know this is something I'll have to live with through the summer, that may be OK, too, once they bulk up and become the bloom machines they're supposed to be. They're blooming now but not with much impact. It's hot so that may be limiting their flowers.

Also, if anyone has some small, disease-resistant favorites that I could plug in there if all else fails, that would be helpful, too. (Not the Grusses. I have 4 of them and they're just as bad.) I have Mme Abel Chatanay (an old HT) and La Sylphide - both supposed to be "smaller" plants, but I don't know if they'd be small enough. I was thinking about pulling out the Daleys (they're the worst), putting them in big pots elsewhere, and replacing them with these 2 just mentioned. That may be what I will do.

Thanks, all.

Sherry

Comments (20)

• thonotorose
    15 years ago

Hi, Sherry,

My new Marie Daley is much the same. It is in a large pot and on it's 3rd bloom cycle. That said; For the heart of the Florida rainy season, it looks and is producing so much better then most any other OGR I have here in my no-spray garden.

So.. I am pleased with it and have high hopes for the fall and winter performance. Also, you should know I have a VERY high tolerance for no-where-near-perfection in my roses. The only time I spade prune is if they keel over and die. Even then, I may wait a few weeks to make sure that that is their true decision.

Veronica,
    Thonotosassa, FL

• Related Discussions

Marie Pavie - Nur Mahal - White Pearl

Q

Comments (13)
    Buff, good to hear you also have a new little White Pearl. I am grateful to Jeri for making this great little china more widely known. No, I do not deadhead any of my three 'Valentine' roses because they are all fully mature and there are way too many blooms to keep up with. If I only had one of them, and grew it in a pot, I'd probably clip the whole spent bloom cluster off at the base of the spent candelabra. Yes, 'Nur Mahal' is healthy for me here. But remember, I live in DFW, which is the relatively dry prairie (although we've been plenty wet lately), where we only get moderate amounts of humidity. Yes about my Gruss roses. They were beautiful, as always, in the earlier spring, but are nothing to get excited about right now. They will wow me again in the fall. That is typical of that rose. The name plate was ordered from GardenMarkers. They are not cheap, but they deliver a product equal to what you see at the better botanical gardens. Their website is at the link below. Here is a link that might be useful: GardenMarkers
    ...See More

Same issue as last year with Marie Pavie

Q

Comments (17)
    Thank you all very much. Patricia, I'm happy to hear she grows out of it for you. I will do as you say and give her a boost. It's been in the mid to upper 80s here and about 60 or just under at night with NO rain - and none to speak of expected until June. It's reasonable that she's a little weaker after her bloom. She's had plenty of watering. It's interesting how I'm seeing that generally that seems to be the case with the roses I have. They're either getting ready to grow or just bloomed, cycling through. To my mind, BS looked at that way doesn't seem as bad. It's a by-product of growth - at least with the Teas, Chinas & Noisettes and, I guess, some other heat loving roses. Looking at it that way prevents me from panicking and saves the lives of many roses who don't know any better. Thanks again. Sherry
    ...See More

Marie Pavie & Marie Daly

Q

Comments (8)
    I prefer Pavie, but Daley is very nice. I'd recommend partial shade for both, at least in hot to pretty warm climates. I've grown them in afternoon shade in PDX. Better color and longer lasting blooms. Both are very nice and I like Daley almost as much as Pavie. Useful, modest size, flexible, healthy, thornless, sweet fragrance--both. Pavie seems slightly more fragrant to my nose, but that could be imagination. Carol
    ...See More

Marie Pavie Speaks

Q

Comments (33)
    Michael, what a lovely piece. My MP is such a beautiful bush until late summer. Then she gets BS, drops her leaves, refoliates, and blooms again. This all became apparent when I stopped spraying about 3 years ago. I know I should sp her, but I just cannot. She only looks ugly two to three weeks out of the summer. And her scent is heavenly. I would like to hear what some of your other roses have to say. Barbara
    ...See More
  • prairie-rose
    15 years ago

I can sympathize--I bought three Marie Pavie from Chamblees this spring and put them at the front of my border. They ARE growing and blooming, but first they had BS something fierce (they've since shaken that off, with the help of Bayer and Daconil). My biggest problem with them, though, is that I can't see the $%@#& blooms. They nod, flop, and hide under the foliage and on the ground--the stems grow upright with buds, above the foliage, but as soon as the bud clusters open, the weak stems collapse and the flowers flop face-down or become invisible. I'm trying a more severe experimental deadheading regimen, essentially cutting further down on the stems than a polyantha would like, to try to generate stronger, less-spindly new growth, but I wonder if I should just chalk this up to their being young plants that will grow stronger with age. If they are still like this next year, I might replace them with something sturdier--I'm thinking "Little White Pet".

• rosyjennifer
    15 years ago

I have both roses and they are BS free in hot, humid Maryland weather. What was a problem when both were young was spider mites. They really messed up both and made for ugly-looking, yellow/brown bushes. I trimmed the lower branches and stepped up the watering and the problem went away and they have been fine since.

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rosyjennifer, really??? I don't know anything about spider mites, but these yellow brown leaves don't look like BS so you must be on to something. You know, my daylilies are plagued with yellow-streaked leaves. I wonder if these bugs bother them, too. I'm going to get educated real quick. I REALLY appreciate your jumping in on this. Is that really all you did to fix the problem? No bug spray or anything?

Sandy, Veronica & prairie-rose, I think we may have an answer!

Sherry

• rosyjennifer
    15 years ago

Gee, I hope I helped! : ) I too, didn't know what the problem was at first, but did some research and ID'd the problem.

Look for very fine webs, spotted leaves, and dried out leaves mostly at the base of the plant. I never had a problem w/ mites before, but I understand they are a problem w/ minis because the branches are close to the ground and the mites hop on.

There are many people who know more than I do on this subject, but I was told not to use chems to kill mites because the chems kill bugs that can keep normal mite populations in check.

After you trim the low-hanging branches and open the base up a bit, spray the rose several times a day with a blast of water. Supposedly the blast of water (stop reading now if you are squeamish) kills the mites b/c their sucking parts stick to the leaves, but their bodies are blasted off by the stream of water. After a week or so I saw a marked improvement.

Good luck!

• thonotorose
    15 years ago

Thank you, Jennifer. I will look tomorrow. The water spray cure sounds like sweet revenge to me. Lol.

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, no time like the present! Got a flash light & my pruners and went to town. Hosed them with a jet spray and will do that daily for a while. I read that, too, about the predators being killed by insecticides. You're a lifesaver, Jennifer. And I'm glad to hear that they really are disease resistant roses where you are. That encourages me that they may be OK.

Thanks again.

Sherry

• jardineratx
    15 years ago

I SP'd my Marie Daley a couple of years ago. It was always plagued with blackspot and was very stingy with the blooms. I replaced it with Perle d' Or and it is a real champ!
    molly

• rosyjennifer
    15 years ago

prairie-rose,
    My plant's blooms nod occassionally, mostly on new shoots, but most are upright. I love these fragrant, graceful roses, so don't give up yet!

I'd love to hear back to see if your plants recover after the water treatment. I think the mites suck from under the leaves, if I recall, so spray under the leaves, too.

Blast away! : )

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

sherryocala --hope you have found the cause of your rose problem. I might be able to help you with those yellow-streaked daylily leaves. That's probably leaf-streak virus (one of my daylilies suffers from this every year). The only "cure" I know is to spray it with Daconil--perhaps several times. I could find no "natural" way to treat it when I researched it online.

Hope that helps.

Kate

• michaelalreadytaken
    15 years ago

Mine stayed covered with BS in Louisiana. I think I ran the lawnmower over it before I moved.

M

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    15 years ago

On my way out to work this AM I looked at one of the yellow/brown leaves (most were thankfully gone due to the hosing.) On the underside were tiny yellow spots which sounds like the description for spider mites plus there were the crispy brown curled up leaves. So I think we have the correct diagnosis. I have not seen BS on these bushes. I thought the cause of the yellow leaves was chlorosis so I did give them a dose of iron sulfate for it. :)) I guess it didn't hurt them, but this has been going on all spring. The poor plants wish they had a smarter mother, I bet. So hopefully, they'll be leafing out again pretty soon - and they'll be beautiful.

Thanks, Kate, for the info on the daylily virus. I'll have to check out that daconil stuff. Does this stuff have any consequences for a no-spray organic garden that you know of? Do you have to totally cover the plant with the spray - undersides and all? They really look ratty this way. Do you know if this virus effects the blooming or just the leaves?

michaelalreadytaken, I read your post and thank you, but I'm choosing to ignore it.

Molly, good to hear about Perle d'Or. I haven't planted mine yet - still a baby. My plan is to give it the prime location of the garden - the center of the grass circle, so your post is good news! I understand it's a pretty bush. I'm hoping for a nice round shape.

Sherry

• prairie-rose
    15 years ago

Rosyjennifer--thanks, good to know that they start to "stand up" more reliably. I can take some nodding, but mine are extremely weak and floppy. But I think it's because they're young plants. I will give them at least another year. It's only because I planted them in a primo spot right at the front of the border that I was so annoyed with the blackspot and the floppiness--worst comes to worst and they prove not to deserve the front-lines, I can use them elsewhere, because they are at least not obnoxious, growth-habit wise--and they smell so good.

• judith5bmontreal
    15 years ago

Sandy, you're right about the worm castings. Where I order them, they're very expensive, $8 for a 3L bag, so I just spread it thinly on my potted plants (roses, clems, bulbs and perennials). Seems to be working well.

I hope to find a place that sells much larger bags, and not quite so pricey, in order to give my garden roses a little treat. It doesn't take much to do the trick..maybe it's time I started my own worm bin..
    Judith

• sandy808
    15 years ago

Sherry,

I don't have spider mites, so that is not why my Marie Daley looks bad. There is some blackspot, and also what I dub "Florida Crud". Lisa at Countryside roses told me to stay away from Marie Pavie if I was no-spray, as she blackspots and gets cruddy for her. I didn't ask about Marie Daley specifically, but I'm assuming because they are related that Marie is a problem here also.

This is my second try, from a different vendor, so I personnaly do not feel that these two will look good for at least half the year here in Florida, with our particular strains of fungus. For someone who sprays chemicals, she probably stays clean. I won't spray chemicals.

By the way, it is too hot down here to spray Daconil. It burns the roses, so I wouldn't use it at all if I were you, unless you want to defoliate the bush for some reason.

If you have spider mites, you would be able to see them if you hold a sheet of white paper under the leaves and shake them.

Sherry, don't feel you aren't a smart enough mother to your roses. I don't feel Marie Pavie can be grown no-spray here and look good for a prime location. However, if you're not ready to give up yet, that is fine. All I know is I've tried this rose over the past few years, and my tolerance level is not willing to put up with it. If mine were not in a pot, I wouldn't care if Michael ran over mine with a lawnmower.

Judith, you should start your own worm bin. It's fun, and they become pets. Well. sort of....:) For the most user friendly and easiest way to do it, I would suggest investing in a unit like the Can O Worms. It can be done in Rubbermaid containers, but I don't think it would be as nice to do it that way, or as easy.

Sandy

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

Both my Marie Daly and my Marie Pavie look great in the spring. Fabulously good, in fact.
    When summer arrives, they remain healthy, but I admit I'm not crazy about the tan-colored spent blooms that hang all over the plants.
    They are both, nice shapely plants for me, but the summer blooms are insignificant in appearance ... at best.
    In my opinion, they are worthy for my garden because of their spring perfection and their year-round fragrance.
    Just don't look at them in the summer ... enjoy the fragrance emanating from them and look at your summer tropicals, tea roses, hybrid musks, etc :-)

Randy

• judith5bmontreal
    15 years ago

Sandy, I will start checking out some catalogues and investigate worm bins. One more thing to stick in the garage over winter...sigh...

Judith

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Michael, I should have put a smiley face after telling you I was ignoring your remarks. I didn't mean to be rude, simply choosing to be deaf, dumb and blind to certain facts. :))

The Daconil was for the daylilies not the roses.

Speaking personally, after a lifelong tendency to bail when things get tough, I have determined to try every reasonable effort to make the roses that I have spent money on successful, hence, my plaintiff cry to the lovely people on this forum. My reasons are simple and probably not unique: I can't afford to pull out roses at the first problem; I will not waste a plant that might survive; it is likely that a remedy may be found but not if I dig up the rose too soon; I will not quit on a rose after 6 months in the ground - if I did it to Pavie, it could become a habit. If it were 3 years, that would be another thing entirely.

I appreciate everyone who offers their experience, good or bad, because it builds my database of useful rose information. I also appreciate how helpful everyone is with very few exceptions. And I appreciate that 99.something% of the time the diversity of individual thinking is respected here and 99.something% of the people have a sense of humor.

Randy, I'm really trying to be tolerant of some roses' seasonal inadequacies - that's my goal anyway. And at this point I have not seen the wonder of the Maries in spring so I want to be patient to see if the wonder outweighs the ugly. Your comments were helpful in their honesty. I'm learning that sometimes we rose lovers must grit our teeth with the ones we love and remember better days are coming. Thank you for your seasoned perspective.

Sherry

• rosyone
    15 years ago

I have two Marie Pavies from the same clone, one a mature rooted cutting from the other, plus a Marie Daly. The M Pavie at the front of the moderately congested foundation bed near my front porch hasn't been nearly as BS resistant as the other, which is planted in a much more open area in the right of way next to the street. The sun exposure is about the same, and the street side plant has neighbors to its left and right, but there's nothing in front or behind that restricts air flow. It's a happy, healthy rose. The other M Pavie has been the been the most spot prone rose in its bed with the possible exception of Marie Daly, which has the same problems.

I plan to move M Daly out to the right of way after it cools down in the fall, now that I'm not so worried that the city will mow down anything I plant there (even the crew that resurfaced the road a couple of summers ago were very protective of the roses). And the foundation M. Pavie has a new home waiting for it in a neighbor's yard.

The polyantha that has done really well in the foundation bed is Mevrouw Nathalie Nypels. It's upright and sturdy, densely foliated, blooms continuously all season, and does not spot.