SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stross_gw

African Violet Seedling or Lichen/Moss/Algae?

Greg
13 years ago

Hello, everyone! I have always wanted to try growing African Violet from seed. I was successful in pollinating Firebird with Opera's Juliet. The ripened seed pod sat around for a while before I had a chance to plant the seed, so I wasn't sure it would be viable.

I read on line how to sow AV seeds... prepared a mix of half peat, half vermiculite, sifted. Planted the seeds in two clear-covered containers. Placed them under the lights. Two weeks passed and nothing happened.

Moved the trays up closer to the lights... just about 6 inches under them. In a few days, a few green things started to appear.

I was so excited that these seeds were sprouting. Now, however, I am wondering if they are really african violet seedlings or just some form of lichen, moss or algae. They do not really look like the tiny violets that I have seen sprouting from rooted leaves. They give the illusion of having two little leaves, but those two leaves are actually one wavy leaf. It looks like they have fine little hairs for roots... They started sprouting about a month ago, and it seems to me that if they were AV's they would be developing second sets of leaves by now...right?

I have just put a few in tiny containers out in the open, and have lowered them down to the level of my other AV's. Perhaps being so close to the lights were causing them to develop abnormally?

Anyway, here are a few photos. In the upper left hand corner of the second one, you can see that something has sprouted that is definitely not an AV. Can anyone tell me if these other green things are AV seedlings? Or do I have a nice crop of little green mushrooms growing under the lights???? :-) Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this!

{{gwi:381085}}

{{gwi:381086}}

Comments (6)