SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
splatteredwhim

The lessons never stop...mites now?

splatteredwhim
10 years ago

I've been coasting along, learning many lessons over the past few months...all about water, light and temperature. Had a few months of solitude, just watching my first leaves grow into little plantlets, and have their first problems with the change of seasons.

The little plantlets have been overall doing quite well, while every African Violet that I bring into my house as a whole plant has died. Except for two suckers I separated back in September, before I messed up wicking on the last adult plant I had.

Well...now I noticed a teeeeeny little crawly thing on the outside of the pot of one of the separated suckers. Checking every pest description on the Dr Optimara site, nothing really fits the description for anything I saw under soil bugs. I get out a slide loupe (the only magnifying thing in the house, apparently. And not the best tool...) and look very closely at the leaves. There's two crawlies. Bulbous bodies. Looks a lot like a cyclamen mite, at least based on what I see in Google images.

I asked the husband for a second opinion. "Does this look like that?" Yes, he concurs.

Farts.

They aren't showing any symptoms. But there's definitely mite-like things. Should I cut my losses and chuck them?

More importantly...is my whole "collection" (all 3 varieties) doomed? I fear I may not have been very careful lately with keeping them away from each other. How long before I should be able to tell if I've contaminated all of the rest?

Comments (24)