SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irisqueen217

Bald Cypress and Dogwood babies

irisqueen217
15 years ago

Hello all!

I live in North Tx, and the temps here have been 99+ for a while now, with little to no relief in sight. Everything from my moonflower vines, to my trees, to my wandering jew, and of course the lawn are showing signs of heat or water problems...

So I have two baby trees. One is a Bald Cypress and the other is a flowering Dogwood. Both are in full sun, but the dogwood is shaded by about 5-6 pm, and the Bald Cypress is still in the sun til 8 or so. Both have a mat around the base to keep moisture in, and on the cypress we've added some rubber mulch under the mat, for additional protection since it takes the brunt of the sun.

On the Dogwood, it is showing signs of sunburn, and hasn't gotten much taller in the past year or two.

The Bald Cypress is yellowing on the foliage. Some even turned brown, but we started watering it more, and that stopped. The yellowing is getting better. We've spiked it at the base, and with a little time and water, that's improving, but it seems to not be doing much growing either.

Any suggestions?

{{gwi:391948}}

{{gwi:391949}}

{{gwi:391950}}

{{gwi:391965}}

{{gwi:391972}}

{{gwi:391976}}

Comments (23)