SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
feenix_gw

Transplanting large crepe myrtle in summer

15 years ago

A friend is helping clear a piece of land for a new office complex and it looks like a 15-20 foot crepe myrtle currently resides right in the middle of where the new building will go. He has offered to "yank" it up for me with is tractor.

1) Does it have any chance of survival? It is July in southern Louisiana and has been hitting the 90's daily and we are not getting much rain right now (except for the occasional late afternoon shower).

2) More specifically, how big a root ball whould we try to get? I have read 12" diameter for every 1" of trunk width. It has the multiple trunks (3-4, I think) and they are each about 2" in diameter. Does that mean 4 X 2" X 12"? That would be a big ol' root ball.

3) should we prune it first before we move it? We probably have a couple of weeks before we have to commit to this endeavor so we can do some "prep" in that couple of weeks if we should.

4) I am guessing it is a Potomac but I am not THAT familiar with all the species around here or how long this tree has been in place (although I would guess a while based on other plants in the area).

Suggestions? Comments?

Comment (1)