SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annemun

New betta sick, please help

annemun
16 years ago

Our recently acquired male betta (Petco) has developed a white cottony substance around the tail area (parasites?) and has lost his tail fins and most of his fins underneath. He was in a 6-gal Eclipse tank, 80 degrees, some plants, no other fish. Was doing great for a week, but then I removed a lava rock I thought might damage his long fins and instead put in a little round ceramic pot for him to hide it. The pot had been used in an indoor water feature, I had wiped it with a damp cloth before using but I'm wondering now if I should have somehow sterilized it? He seemed to really like it, spent lots of time in there, but the next morning he had developed this fuzzy growth that I have read is possibly parasites?

I raised the temp to 82 degrees and gave him a 60-second salt bath, also did a 50% water change. Today he has lost more fins and has trouble swimming so I put him in a much shallower container with salt added and will give him another salt bath tonite.

Is there any hope for this little guy? Am I on the right track here? I've read their fins will grow back but I don't want him to suffer. Can anyone help me with this? We would greatly appreciate it. You have all given us good advice so far, so thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio