SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael_in_chicago

Bonica v. Knockout, rugosa as hedge deterrent - help me choose?

michael_in_chicago
16 years ago

I grow a few roses for ease of beauty (New Dawn), cutting (The Fairy...really, they last forever) and fragrance (little more challenging Karl Lagerfeld, Angel Face, Heirloom).

I have a 3' wide strip between my neighbor's house and mine that used to get much foot traffic from the kids, mailmen, etc. I've tried to cleverly interplant Knockout Blushing Pink with tall grasses, all grown through square peony supports (so things aren't trampled mid-winter). It's an area that receives full sun for 4 hours, then dappled after and before; the full sun is mid-day.

The roses are in their 3rd season in the ground, and I'm just not impressed by their form, and the more I look around at the various KO's, I feel the same - sort of open and ragged (in form, not flower). I was looking for something that would achieve a 3' x 3' "full" shrub, or possibly taller. I'm not a huge fan of Bonica's fading flowers, but its shape seems more what I'm looking for.

These roses must be pink, somewhat shade tolerant, and easy care - I will not tolerate BS or mildew here, and won't do more than mulch in the winter. I have a grouping of rugosa hybrid Therese Brugnet in another area, and I didn't realize that she had Alba (?) blood, making her susceptible to mildew, but I'm willing to go with some all-rugosa rugosa here (Belle Poitane is one I can't find locally but admire).

So, can anyone help me with this:

1) Do I need to give my KO's another season? Would trimming them to the ground in the spring make them bushier, but still 3' or over? I do fertilize and water them well.

2) Bonica - a better choice for a vase-shape that is over 3' in my zone?

3) A light pink rugosa? The brighter colors (Purple Pavement, etc.) won't work here.

Thanks!

Comments (3)