SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david883_gw

general question - fall/winter prep

david883
11 years ago

So this is my first fall in the house (and therefore, first fall with a garden). My question now is... perennials... what do I do with them before the winter? For example, I know with peonies I need to chop back all the foliage to just a few inches above the ground (especially the ones that will get moved). I have heliposis - should that be chopped down, too? Is the general rule of thumb to cut everything back before winter?

I've read with a few of these that cutting them back is just to help rejuvenate the plant or control their size. I know I need to cut the clematises back (I think all of mine are the pruning type where they bloom on both old and new growth but they were not cared for by the previous owner and are a mess - I think just cutting them back and "starting over" would be best at this point). But what about others? There are some plants that were here when I moved in (annabelle hydrangeas, heliopsis, some hostas, peonies, irises, sedum) and some I've put in (different salvia, rose champion/lychnis coronaria - I call it fake lambs ear)

I've read a few different things so I'm just a little confused as to whether I cut it all back or let it all "die" off.

As always, look forward to everyone's advise!

Comments (14)