SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dixiebug

Grow Stone Experiment with Pictures

dixiebug
9 years ago

I picked up my grow stones today. A very large bag, like a large animal feed bag. It cost a little over $25. The huge bag is amazingly light weight considering what's in it. I can carry it with one hand.

I filled a large plastic colander and rinsed it. It's very porous and absorbent. Also, it's very clean, hardly any dust or residue when I rinsed it.

I selected a plant that I just received that needs to be transplanted. Queen Sabrina is a semi miniature chimera. I know I'm taking a chance with a chimera, but I feel confident this is going to work. I have good feelings about these grow stones: they are very clean, they are recycled glass not mined, they are very absorbent and they are easy to use.

I removed her from the pot and cleaned all the peat mix off. I removed the baby leaves, and much of the root system, scraped the neck. Planted her in the grow stones using a 4 oz styrofoam cup, because I could easily punch the needed holes in the bottom and sides. I should probably remove the blooms, but they are so pretty. I need to decide soon whether I should cover the plant until new roots develop.

This first picture is of the grow stones in the colander after rinsing.

Comments (34)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio