SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nac_mac_feegle

Looking for a good dark red

nac_mac_feegle
18 years ago

I was reading the "why do my av's change colors' and 'east wind' threads, and it brought up a question that's been brewing in my little witch's brain for a while.

I know (have read here) that AV colour is affected by many factors of their growing conditions. I have also read (various places) and know from my own photography, that the light you use will affect how the colours look. That being said, I've noticed that the pics of flowers on avsa, and the pics on peoples websites/ebay, are often quite different. Then again they are different depending on which monitor I'm using. I also realize that when I'm reading a description, the colours listed are still open to the interprtation of my little brain. So when it says 'true red', do they mean orangy-red? Or blue-red?

I am looking for a really saturated red. I am more interested in the blue-reds than the orange-reds. I don't care what size it is for this plant. Minis are preferable, but I would make room for a standard if it were a good, deep, bloodred. My preference is also for dark leaves.

Any ideas?

I don't have 1st Class, so I don't have descriptions, but here is a list of the ones that appear to be the right colour on avsa (on the monitor I'm using today). !! denotes the ones that I think are closest:

Aca's Red Ember

Aca's Tornado

Buckeye Remember Ohio

Buckeye Rockin Robin

!!Buffalo Hunt - this may be too orange

Burgundy Beau

Burnished Halo

Chinook Wind

Chorale

!!Cinnamon Ruffles

Crushed Velvet

!!Dancin' Devil

!!Emergency

Garnet Halo

!!!Genuine Jewel

!!!Geronimo

!!Kaboom

Lyon's Paprika

!!Mac's Exquisite Extravaganza

!!Mac's Rouge Rogue

Midnight Valentine

Moby Dick

Night Fever

!!Plenty of Pepper

!!Powwow

Rebel's Crested Robin

!!Rebel's Faith

Red Lantern

Red Robe

Red Velvet

!!Rob's Silly Sally

!!Satin Wine

Sedona

Tangier

Tomahawk

!!Up In Flames

Okay, so it's a really long list. But I really want help on this. I haven't bought any reds because I don't want to have to buy 40 to get the right colour. I'd be willing to try 4 or 5, but not 40.

Any feedback on the colours of these AVs, your experience with any of these particular AVs or their hybridizers, why I should give up my quest for red, or how to keep the plant red once I get it/them, would be greatly appreciated. I have already read about using vinegar, so that's covered on another thread.

Thanks in advance,

Feegle

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and the government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain

Comments (22)