SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtslinger2

Mulching out canary reed grass?

dirtslinger2
15 years ago

(Please note this is also posted on the organic forum, but I feel this may actually be a better place).

I've been here 4 summers now and have yet to have a decent crop of veggies due to this canary reed grass infestation.

The garden is about 60'x40' (or more). My entire 10 acre property is canary reed.

Last year what I did was put down 1.5 to 2 feet of weed free soil over top of the canary reed to create the veggie garden. Within a month it was poking through the surface. Regular hoeing did nothing- even a tractor rototiller didn't even set it back enough for the mulch to smother it- it was a monster that was coming back no matter what.

What I have begun this fall is put down 2' of mulch: 1 foot deep of cut back perennials (grasses and other foliage), 1 foot of large leaves (maples), together this should really slow it down. I figure soil is easily penetrated and mulch has better smothering action.

I now want to put a layer of some sort (I don't think I could get enough cardboard and paper, I don't like the idea of carpet near my veggies...) Once this layer is down I will put down 3-4" of manure, then another 6-8" of clean, storebought (YUK!) topsoil. Then... veggies and yes more mulch of course.

I'm pretty sure this will work. HOWEVER I WOULD LOVE ANY IDEAS YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE! Such as what to use in lieu of cardboard- anything else you can suggest?

Thanks for ANY tips!

Comments (4)