SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcanton

Purple robe locust - need help

16 years ago

Hello,

I live in central California (sunset zone 9). Our summers on average are in the low 60Âs to highs between 105-107. When I lived in Albuquerque New Mexico we had a Purple robe locust tree and it thrived there. I know the summers are a lot milder, typically in the low 90Âs, not sure of the zone. When I learned they grow in zone 9 I got excited. To be honest IÂve had mixed results. Like a lot of folks I too get the yellow leaves in the summer. What confused me is the trees (now six years old) look wonderful and healthy in the spring. I though it was the heat so gave the trees more water. This only made the problem worse. So I then cut way back on the watering to about 3-4 gallons per hour per tree. The results were astounding. The trees stopped producing yellow leaves and began to get new growth where the old leaves have turned yellow and dropped off. IÂd say this happened about two weeks after I reduced the water. However, IÂm now seeing the yellow leaves returning so am at a loss. If I did not have a six year investment in the tress, IÂd replace them with something else, but they are 25-30 feet and IÂd like to bring them back to health.

Any advice????

Thanks,

John

Comment (1)