SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ocelaris

My Wicking is still too wet!

ocelaris
12 years ago

Ok, last weekend I repotted like half of my 20 some violets. But my wick mix is still too wet! I went to like 4-2-1 perlite, vermiculite, peat.

I sprayed everyone with phyton 27 AND Forbid 4F (probable mites on 2 local nursery bought ones). They all now have individual wicked pots, no community tray for safe keeping.

But I would say that the same 2 or 3 that had botryitis or whatever that white curly mold on the leaves are, still have it a week later

What else can I do to dry up the mix? coarse perlite? The perlite I'm using seems pretty fine, dusty, I can imagine it was beat up pretty good at the store where I got it. Or thinner wick? I'm using a standard mason line, I could break that out into a third of the thickness? Or get a fan blowing better (fan is coming). Temps drop to probably 65 at night and don't come back up until like 70 at 5pm when we get home (too cold?)

I'm hoping too get this under control so I can start enjoying them and stop worrying so much! But all in all they're doing fine, just a few susceptible ones seem to need a little extra care, but that probably means they all could use a bit drier, (warmer?) conditions?

Thanks again, I will put some pics up soon!

Comments (13)