SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uninformed_kitty

Baby neon questions

uninformed_kitty
18 years ago

I recently got my first neons ever, and I have a couple questions about them.

First, one of my neons is very tiny (I picked it out so they wouldn't all look the same). She doesn't avoid schooling and she looks healthy, so I don't think she's sick, but she spends a lot of time in the "nest" area. (The neons have chosen a small area where they like to sleep, where the gravel dips down like a nest.) I can think of two reasons for this: One is that the current on the other side of the tank (directly under the filter) is too strong for her, so she has to rest more. The other I can think of is that since she's so young, she might be more inclined to stay in such an area? I only want to know the reason out of curiosity, but what I do need to know is whether or not I should get another small fish to keep her company. I know neons are social, and she does school with the others, but would another baby make her happier? Or is that unnecessary? I was thinking of getting a baby glowlight anyway, once my tank is done cycling, but should I go ahead and buy one now? (I'm not very concerned with my fish's health while the tank is cycling because I'm changing the water often, which I understand will slow the process, but keep the fish healthier. Correct me if that's wrong.) Turning down the filter isn't an option because it's already at its lowest setting to keep my betta happy. (And he's very happy. =^_^=)

Okay, on to my second question. From what I've read about neons, the conditions in my tank will be good for breeding, with the exception of live plants. But I've heard about a number of successful breedings on fake plants. While I'd love for them to have babies, I'm not sure I have the room for them. How many will they have in one... litter? Is there anything I can do to discourage breeding that wouldn't be harmful to the fish?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH