SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lori_holder_gw

question about foxtail lily growth (eremurus)

lori_holder
13 years ago

I'm thinking of putting some foxtail lilies in the back of my bed against the house (top of slope, southern exposure, sounds like the right kind of dirt). But I have only seen pictures of these plants, not actual specimens, and I have some questions.

1. The catalogues say that they're 3-6'. Is that 3' of foliage and another 3' of flower spike?

2. It looks like I should get a starfish-shaped corm or bulb with a nodule in the middle of it. Does 1 nodule = 1 fan of foliage and 1 flower spike? Or do you get multiple fans/flower spikes per nodule?

3. How do these things spread? Are they like daylilies, where you must dig them up and divide them? If so, how often does that have to happen?

4. I'm planning to order from Scheepers, as they seem to have a pretty good reputation for their bulbs. Assuming they send a corm or bulb of a respectable size, how long should it be under the proper conditions before these put on a good show? I'm trying to figure out whether I want to put in one row at the back, or to do a couple of staggered rows.

5. I've read that they don't like their roots disturbed - would they be bothered by having daffodils underplanted? Or does the "do not disturb" pertain mainly to recommendations against moving them?

Thanks for any answers!

Lori

Comments (4)