SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ocelaris

Advice on newly wicked Setup Smelly?

ocelaris
12 years ago

Hi, I just started a few weeks ago and converted all my violets over to a shared wick system. I'm a fairly avid outdoor gardener, used to be orchid grower, but violets are new to me. I bought a bunch from Rob's Violet Barn and 2 from ebay, and 2 from a local store.

I repotted everything in a 2-1-1 Perlite, vermiculite, and peat mix. nylon wicks (small) one per container.

I'd like a a little critique on my setup, as I'm worried about some and it started to smell since I added some physan-20 (rd-20 from southern ag). The trays started to grow algae, so I mixed the reccomended physan 20 in with the next batch of water and about a day later it started to smell like dying bacteria?

I divided one large one from the local store into 3 smaller ones and the larger one seems to now be drooping? almost all the leaves are droopy. The baby suckers seem fine.

On one of the larger chimeras that I bought it appears as if the soil has mold all over it?

Most of the plants besides growing a bit too dense from the lights being too low, look pretty good, firm leaves etc... I know the lights should be raised up, but they're exactly 1000 lumens at the bigger plants, and less at the minis. But I have to rebuild my light stand to give it more height (right now it's as far away as it can get).

I'm thinking of switching them over to individual reservoirs because of the algae problem... But I like the simplicity too. Any other general comments/critiques are appreciated. Thanks, Bill

{{gwi:378021}}

{{gwi:378023}}

{{gwi:378027}}

{{gwi:378028}}

{{gwi:378029}}

{{gwi:378031}}

Here is a link that might be useful: More Pictures on my blog

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH