SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
begonia2005

So dissapointed...what is ailing my blooming AV NOW?....

Begonia2005
11 years ago

OK...just when I thought I was getting the hang of it, another problem shows up. This is an AV I managed to make bloom again, with quite a few buds coming. I was so excited to see the show of flowers soon... instead...today I noticed gray-whitish white spots on the leaves - as shown in the photo.

What is this NOW? ...I suppose it is either powdery mildew or Bortrytis, right?

I did the test with the Q-tip dipped in alcohol to make sure these are not mealy bugs, and it did not turn pink...so I don't think this is it.

Between powdery mildew and Bortrytis, I am not sure. One leaf does show one small brown lesion on the edge, as if the leaf got scorched/sun-burnt or something like that (the next picture below).

Kindly help as I have worked so hard to get this violet to bloom again, including disbudding, which broke my heart at the time. I am almost ready to give all this up.

The plant has been sitting in a east-south window, and under artificial lights, on top of a round tray filled with pebbles and water. I should mention that the ceramic pot was placed on a terracota saucer, which in turn was sitting on the pebbles. I did this so that I would avoid having the pot sit directly on the pebbles almost covered with water - to avoid root rot.

I am afraid though that I may have created too much humidity by keeping a terra-cota saucer between the pot and the pebbles because every time I would lift up the pot there was condensation at the bottom.

I would appreciate any advice as to what you think these spots are and what I should do next.

This plant has got such beautiful buds coming. In fact there is one that has just bloomed (picture below).

Comments (13)