SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joannacala

Pink Gruss an Aachen v. Irene Watts

joannacala
16 years ago

Does anyone have photos of these two to post side by side so I can compare? Peter Beales says they are different roses. Just how different are they?

Thanks

JOanna

Comments (43)

• jerijen
    16 years ago

The rose sold in the U.S. as Irene Watts is Pink Gruss an Aachen.
    It was so-mis-identified by Beales -- an error which he now does not dispute.
    I have seen my own Pink Gruss an Aachen (purchased as Irene Watts) sport back to Gruss an Aachen, so that identity is pretty solid.

The rose he is NOW selling as Irene Watts is a different rose.
    It was found somewhere, given to Beales, and by him identified.
    He says this is the "real" Irene Watts.
    I do not know if there has been any other study, tho I am sure that it has not (as yet) been sent to the U.S.

So, AFAIK, the roses Beales now sells as Irene Watts and Pink Gruss an Aachen are in fact not the same rose.

Jeri

• joannacala
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jeri - that is also what I had understood; would know like to see them both!

• Related Discussions

Gruss an Aachen: great for the front of the border...

Q

Comments (11)
    Pappu your Gruss an Aachens are lovely. I am always so impressed by your roses! I am a bit disappointed with mine. I purchased it because I fell in love with the pink blush on this rose but alas mine blooms ivory with no blush. This is its first year planted in ground from a 5 gallon container and both the spring flush and now the summer blooms are ivory. I may replace it. Erin---
    ...See More

Pink Gruss an Aachen ...

Q

Comments (1)
    Rose, Weston Gardens didn't have the pink one but if I hear of somewhere that has it, I'll give you a shout. Kristi
    ...See More

True Irene Watts

Q

Comments (11)
    Hello everyone, Its great to have prompted so many comments on the 'Irene Watts'/'Pink Gruss an Aachen' debate! Just to clarify my earlier comments. If there is a true 'Irene' out there, then she will be short and slender with a loosely double pinkish bloom and only alight fragrance. She will also be only lightly prickled, in fact a true China hybrid. Anything else is sure to be 'Pink Gruss an Aachen' (as pictured). I would love to believe that 'Irene' is still out there, somewhere! The rose Peter Beales described, and the stock his nursery still supplies, is 'PGaA', as he himself acknowledged to me. Stock received by Peter from Oz as 'Irene' still proved to be untrue. These two varieties are so dissimilar, except in overall size of the bush, as to settle the confusion over nomenclature once and for all. The problem remains with the choice of names. 'Pink Gruss an Aachen' is just not as attractive an name to a prospective buyer! Come on Nurserymen! Get your act in order! Good gardening to all! David
    ...See More

Pink Gruss an Aachen v Irene Watts....not...

Q

Comments (137)
    This, too, comes into the 'For what it's worth' department .... I was just reading Peter Beales 'A Passion for Roses' (published in 2004) and noted the following comment he made in the section on Floribundas - "A few roses are completely timeless, and two of these I must mention here: 'Grüss an Aachen' and its sport 'Pink Grüss an Aachen'. 'Grüss an Aachen' is a superb rose, introduced in 1909, and one of the best cluster-flowered roses ever raised. Its colour is a soft flesh-pink, changing to cream in maturity, and it is fragrant and very free flowering; it is also tidy in habit and perfect for both bedding and group planting, 'Pink Grüss an Aachen' is a much deeper pink but in all other respects exactly the same, and just as charming. I confess to being one of a number of nurserymen who, until recently, have distributed the pink form erroneously as 'Irène Watts', a mistake I regret but have now rectified" So, I wonder where the Beales nursery sourced their 'Irène Watts' stock when they realised that what they had previously sold as that rose was in fact the PGaA? Tricia
    ...See More
  • jerijen
    16 years ago

In fact Joanna, if you GET that Beales I.W., I hope you can get photos of it for us. I would LOVE to know what it really looks like!

Jeri

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

I grow Irene Watts from Peter Beales. I have always thought it looked a little like the Austin Rose Evelyn, but with smaller blooms. I will take some pictures during the next bloom cycle or when it stops raining ..... it has been raining for 4 weeks now. I We have gotten 5 times as much rain as in a normal summer. So pray for some sunshine for me and probably Jon in England too!!! Otherwise we will have to start building and Ark!

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Why, THANK YOU Cup-Shaped. I'd appreciate that.
    But how long have you had it? Is this the "new" Beales I.W.? Or the FORMER Beales I.W.(aka, Pink Gruss an Aachen)?????
    I ask, because your description of it doesn't sound very "China-like."

Sorry about your rain but (and this has been said before) I sure wish you could send some of it our way.
    Our roses have not really had rain to wash them for a such a long time now, they do suffer.
    And washing and watering with our alkaline tapwater isn't at all the same.

Jeri

• riku
    16 years ago

Gruss an Achen from Texas

{{gwi:290465}}

Irene Watts from Serbia

{{gwi:290467}}

• lemecdutex
    16 years ago

Riku, as variable as that rose is, I'd still think the bottom one was Gruss an Aachen, or at least it looks more like the ones I've had. The top one doesn't look that much like blooms I've gotten.

--Ron

• riku
    16 years ago

Thanks Ron, I had deep suspicions about the top one due to a lack of pink and lack of fullness ... Austin would never have called it an English rose with that low a petal count ... the real Irene Watts I have never seen, and I suspect though have not asked Radoslav as to the origins of his, it is probably Beales' error again - like the ones I make ... hahahaha.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Here are two blooms, spring '07, from one of 2 plants purchased a decade ago as Irene Watts.
    This is the first time it's reverted, but it does demonstrate its origin and real identity.
    {{gwi:290469}}

Jeri (SoCalif)

• joannacala
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jeri, for the photos, although I am now confused...are you saying that your Pink Gruss has reverted after 10 years to Irene Watts?

Thanks
    Joanna

• jerijen
    16 years ago

No.
    The rose which was sold in the U.S. as Irene Watts was in fact Pink Gruss an Aachen
    (a pink sport of Gruss an Aachen).
    It was mis-identified (by Beales actually) and the error spread world-wide.

My Pink Gruss an Aachen was purchased as Irene Watts.
    This year, after a decade or so, it reverted to the ORIGINAL Gruss an Aachen.
    The fact that it could revert to Gruss an Aachen proves that it Pink Gruss an Aachen.

It was never Irene Watts. That was a mistake of identification.

The rose which Beales NOW offers as Irene Watts is a different rose altogether.
    I understand that it is a Found Rose.
    I have not heard who identified it as Irene Watts.
    I know of no one who has actually seen it, or even a good picture of it.

Jeri

• joannacala
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jeri - clear now! Are you saying also then that all the pictures on HelpMeFind of Irene Watts are in fact Pink Gruss an Aachen?!

Either way, seems like Irene Watts will be a pretty little rose. Do you think it it likely to be good here?

Thanks
    Joanna

• michaelg
    16 years ago

Joanna, hardly anyone in the US knows anything about the rose Beales currently sells as Irene Watts. Pink Gruss is an excellent compact rose that likes hot weather.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Michael is correct. We simply do not know.
    We don't know if this rose is Irene Watts, or even if it really is a China. But I am sure curious!

As to the pix on HMF, I believe you will see a notation there which tells you that these are all photos of Pink Gruss an Aachen. Which they are.

If we ever obtain a good photo of Beales' new candidate for the position, we can put that on HMF instead. But you know, its been a few years now, and I wonder why there is STILL no photo of it. If it is actually a China, it must surely have bloomed by now!

Jeri

• joannacala
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, the plot thickens... thanks for the input.

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

I bought my supposedly Irene Watts rose from Peter Beales in November 2003. I thought I got the china rose from 1896! It did however not look very much like a china ... Growth habit and foliage is very modern. And Like I said I always thought it looked a little like the Austin rose Evelyn, only with smaller flowers.

I went outside to take a look at my IWorGAA....lol but it does not have any flowers right now, no wonder considering the lack of sun and heat lately...I took this picture which really show nothing?

{{gwi:290470}}

We will have to wait until it flowers again it usually gives a good fall flush.

But I must say that it looks very much like the rose Jeri pictured as PGAA, that reverted back to PAA!

The rose it reverted back to does however NOT look like the rose I grow as GAA!!!!!!!!! To make the confusion even worse it looks like the rose Riku labeled as GAA from Serbia!!! My
    GAA flowers has the rosette shape, whereas the rose Jeri says it a reversion to GAA is loosely cupshaped.

The Rose I grow as GAA:

{{gwi:290471}}

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Cupshaped -- It'll drive you nuts, won't it?

No -- My spring sport doesn't look EXACTLY like the original Gruss.
    But I think it's more like Gruss than it is like Pink Gruss.
    I have not tried to propagate it -- I think it may be a temporary, weather-related change.
    If it occurs again, I might, but you know, it would STILL be a virused plant, whatever it was.
    I'm not sure it's worth it.

I'd STILL like to see the true 19th-Century China, assuming it still really exists. :-)

Jeri

• riku
    16 years ago

I may misunderstand you cupshapedroses, but my Irene Watts (labeled as such) from Serbia looks like your GAA so I would say mine is mislabeled. But my labeled GAA is being questioned as to whether it is GAA - by default it is so different from what is commonly held to be GAA that the belief is it something totally different ... the cool thing is I have another GAA but from Pickering that is recovering from a bad winter - can't find a picture - that I will use as a final arbitrator.

The GAA from Texas (labeled as such) in the picture is from another vendor.

So my question to me is who is my second fake GAA - it is definitely a floribunda without question in my mind.

Anybody need a shot of vitamin B12 ?????

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

Yes it really is confusing! This is excactly the same story again as the work I did to find the real Souvenir D Alphonse Lavalle. One time the two roses (even 3 roses) have been confused and propagated and spread so a lot of people (That relied on the credibility of a renowned rosarian ) who thought they were getting the Real/Right rose ACTUALLY got the WRONG rose. So like IW and PGAA we end up having 2 roses. Some think they are growing IW, others will think they grow PGAA. But who really knows who are what?

This is why we need photos of all the anatomical parts of the roses so they can be compared and distinguished from each other. So yes one day it would be nice to have pictures
    of IW and PGAA side by side like Joanna asked for. But like you say Jeri ...that is if the (Real ) China Rose Irene Watts is not extinct.

I will picture my rose when it blooms!!

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

Yes Riku I say that my GAA looks very much the same as your Rose labeled Irene Watts from Serbia! I will not draw any conclusions as to who of us have the mislabeled rose ...

• riku
    16 years ago

Here are the leaves for the records, both look the same to my old eyes.

This is the leaves off the Texas GaA

{{gwi:290472}}

This is the leaves off the Serbian Irene Watts

{{gwi:290474}}

• generalcavaignac
    16 years ago

I live in Japan.
    I have the rose which Beales NOW offers as Irene Watts.
    I ordered some in 2005 and got them in 2006.
    Each rose has a tag saying Hybrid China Rose (True) IRENE WATTS.
    The word true sounds great, but I don't like it in parentheses.
    I have some photos.
    I want to post them.
    Please tell me how I can post photos on this forum.

Akira

• veelakin
    16 years ago

Akira,

I was intrigued by a previous post you made on the subject of 'Irene Watts' (link below).

How does the Beales (True) 'Irene Watts' compare with the photos of 'Carnation'? Do you continue to think that those two may be same rose?

I'm anxious to see your photos & am hoping that someone here can give you guidance on posting them.

Vee

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous Irene Watts Thread

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

No one has mentioned this yet, but all five of my Pink Gruss an Aachen's are virtually thornless. This is not true of my Original Gruss an Aachen, which is thorned, though not heavily.

If Irene Watts is supposed to be at least moderately thorned, then that would be an easy way to determine if you have the true IW or the pink sport of Gruss.

Riku, my original Gruss has sometimes produced blooms that look like your first pic. And your second pic looks like Pink Gruss.

Randy

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Remember two things about the Faux Irene Watts:

1. Pink Gruss an Aachen is very, very changeable.
    Its color and form change wildly throughout the year, even in my own garden --
    to the point that, did I not know they were the same plant, I wouldn't believe it.
    2. All of the U.S. nurseries have the "Faux" plant.
    The real one appears not to have been in the U.S. in this century.
    If we have it, we probably have it floating around under a study name somewhere.

Jeri

• joannacala
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I have today ordered budwood from Beales of (apparently)the real china Irene Watts. It should arrive here next week, go off and be grafted and then in about a year's time - maybe - there may be a bloom for me to photograph and post here. Thanks in the meantime for the intriguing discussion.

Joanna

• kittymoonbeam
    16 years ago

Time to make a new tag for Irene....er Grussie...er whatever her name is. Anyway I always wondered why that rose looks different throught the year. The Plant I bought as Pink Gruss does not look the same as the plant I bought as Irene but they are very similar. Anybody know if there is a virus free copy of this bloom machine for sale?

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Irene....er Grussie...er whatever her name is.

*** You know, I sort of like "Grussie" better than 'Pink Gruss an Aachen.'

It really IS very very changeable.
    I was once DQ'd at a rose show because some of my PGAA blooms looked different from some of the other ones in the same bouquet.
    I believe I lost my temper just a tad, and called the judge something like the North-facing end of a South-bound donkey.
    Which, when I thought about it later, was a disgraceful thing to have done (but quite satisfying at the time).

Jeri

• jannorcal
    16 years ago

Akira -

The SOILS forum on GW has a "how to post pictures" post in their FAQs.
    The link is below.

Janelle

Here is a link that might be useful: How to post pictures

• erasmus_gw
    16 years ago

I have "Irene Watts" and Gruss an Achen so can't compare Pink Gruss with Irene. For a long time I thought the petals were so different on Irene that it couldn't be a sport of Gruss. But Irene and Gruss ARE so changeable. Irene can have dahlia like petals or rounded fatter petals. Here are some pics of my Irene and Gruss just to show how changeable they are. That is one thing I like about them..they are full of surprises.

Irene as she looked for the first few years I had her:

{{gwi:290476}}

another look:{{gwi:290477}}

{{gwi:290478}}

{{gwi:290479}}\

at Photobucket">

Here's my Gruss an Achen and it is all the same rose:

{{gwi:290480}}

{{gwi:290481}}

{{gwi:262419}}

If you notice though, Gruss an Achen always has rounded petals, while Irene can have thin petals.

Linda

• jerijen
    16 years ago

There's really no doubt at all anymore that the rose sold all over as 'Irene Watts' is actually Pink Gruss an Aachen.

The only mystery left in this particular area is whether or not the "real" I.W. has been found now.
    I tend to take most identifications of found roses with a large grain of salt, but I hope
    we'll find that the rose in question is AT LEAST something resembling a China.

Jeri (SoCalif)

• riku
    16 years ago

Go to this link on Beales' site and he has all three roses as bloom photos ... good luck on Irene Watts because that flower looks like the photos above ... then he has PGAA and GAA photos

Here is a link that might be useful: Beales the last correct word???

• phil_schorr
    16 years ago

I'm with Jeri on this one. Trying to identify one or the other by looking at the blooms is not going to get it done. The blooms are just too changeable. In order to really identify them you need to look at the historic records of the foliage, prickles, and all the other parts of the plant. These areas of growth are more stable and will let you identify what you have. The people who are really good at plant identity always look at the plant and not the bloom.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

AKIRA'S IRENE WATTS PHOTOS:

I've put most of Akira's photos together in a collage, so that you can see them better.
    I will go downstairs tomorrow, and take a look at canes and prickles on my Pink GaA --
    but to start with, I am a little uncomfortable about those fat, round buds,
    They don't precisely scream "China" at me.
    I've sent these also to some other folks to look at, as well.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/JeriJennings/AKIRASIRENEW.jpg

Jeri Jennings
    (SoCalif)

• generalcavaignac
    16 years ago

Jeri, thank you for your beautiful work!

Janelle, thank you for your posting.
    As you see, Jeri helped me with posting photos.

Vee, thank you for your interest on my previous
    post.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    what do you think about the photos?

Akira

• stefanb8
    16 years ago

I still see only 'Gruss an Aachen' when I look at your photos of Beales' rose, Akira. When did you acquire the plant from him?

At least Nancy Steen's 'Irene Watts' is obviously not 'Gruss an Aachen'! The bloom form of the Huntington "Carnation" appears superficially similar in that shot even though the color is very different; where are you trying to go with that comparison, Jeri?

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

Linda, I agree with you that the petals on Pink Gruss are most often different looking than those on Orig Gruss. You described it very well. I used to question if PGaA really was a sport. But over the years, it became apparent to me that the plant form of the mature plant is exactly the same, as is the fragrance, foliage, & canes. Only the petal form, their color, and the thorn count was different (I suppose a sport can have three variances from its original). Your photos are beautiful and look just like my Orig Gruss & my Pink Gruss.

Randy

• jerijen
    16 years ago

are you trying to go with that comparison, Jeri?

*** No. It was Akira who caught that similarity.
    But I think it interesting.
    However, if you go to the "Carnation" photos on HMF:

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=995&tab=10

You will see that the color of the Huntington rose may not be typical.
    FWIW, in the past, the Huntington's Teas and Chinas have grown in quite deep shade,
    which may "skew" color comparisons from that garden.

Jeri

• berndoodle
    16 years ago

Isn't anyone going to mention the most obvious thing about all those roses proposed as 'Irene Watts,' namely that none of them has foliage even vaguely resembling any China we're familiar with to date? Isn't that a clue that this identification might be questionable? Not that it isn't a nice rose, etc. etc. but seven leaflets, the foliage quilted?...please, anyone, post shots of Chinas with foliage like that. The parent of Irene Watts, Madame Laurette Messimy, looks like a China. Budding to a vigorous rootstock could make a big difference, but it generally changes size, not leaf texture and shape. My 2¢.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mme. Laurette Messimy

• generalcavaignac
    16 years ago

stefanb8,I got the plant in February 2006.

I also see only 'Gruss an Aachen'
    when I look at my Beales' (true) Irene Watts!

As to the color difference, anntn6b gave me
    very important information.

Her Nancy Steen's book has black and white photos.
    Mine has color photos.

Maybe the photos in my book were colorized
    with the automated colorizing programs which
    anntn6b mentioned in her posting.

Jeri, thank you for your interest!
    And thank you for your information about
    the Huntington's Teas and Chinas.

berndoodle, I felt just the same thing
    as you mentioned when I first saw the leaves of
    my TRUE Irene Watts.
    They are not the leaves of China roses!

"Carnation" has China-like leaves.
    Quite similar to Madame Laurette Messimy's.

I got "Carnation" this spring.
    I also have Madame Laurette Messimy.
    And I have Archduke Charies which I suppose
    Irene Watts' pollen parent.
    I'm going to watch these three varieties closely.

Akira

• jerijen
    16 years ago

I also see only 'Gruss an Aachen'
    when I look at my Beales' (true) Irene Watts!

*** That was my thinking, when I examined your photos Akira.
    Darn!

Jeri

• kittymoonbeam
    16 years ago

What this conversation has done is to make me want to buy more plants! All these great pictures! It's such a fine grower and blooms so often that I have moved it all around the yard over the years. Both GAA and Pink GAA started out in pots, lived in the front, on the side and in the back. They did fantastic wherever they were. Now they are planted by the entrance-It's a shame they don't have much scent but they make up for it in blooming ability and disease resistance in my yard. Isn't the name translated Greetings to Aachen? I like to think they greet everyone.

• erasmus_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks Randy and Kitty. Both are fine roses aren't they?
    Linda