SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janet400_gw

Clay soil a real surprise!!!

janet400
16 years ago

We moved to Cape Cod (where most people have sandy soil) just two years ago and have been trying to eradicate bent grass for most of that time. We finally gave in and had about 4000 sq. ft. of lawn removed with a bobcat. They scraped about 4" of our good soil and removed the bent grass. We had a 50/50 mix of compost and topsoil put down on 1800 sq.ft. and then had that section sodded. That left an area of more than 2000sq.ft. which we had mulched (just one-two" to hold it over the winter, while we designed the area). Two days later I noticed a puddle in the mulch and investigated. I dug a hole which immediately filled with water. I watched it for two days, and it never drained! While digging I realized we have a solid clay soil (gray) which explained the bent grass never going away. Bent grass loves water.

Finally, to my question: We are thinking of adding compost, followed by mulched leaves, then some mulch. How many years would it take to have some kind of workable soil with this method so that we could plant in the area? We are aware that we would need to do this every year. Right now, we would need a backhoe just to dig holes. It's about 9" of compacted clay (more like cement). We do think that the property was probably backfilled when built, because we noticed another layer of topsoil about a foot down.

Another option would be to use a backhoe to dig holes for the tree and shrubs, but from what I have read here, it sounds like digging holes and adding compost just attracts the water.

One other option is to build a firepit and give up on the soil. Any answers or opinions are welcome. Sorry I have been so wordy, but felt it necessary to explain the situation. Thanks, Janet

Comments (29)