SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fortyseven_gw

Vitamin C

fortyseven_gw
9 years ago

Has anyone experimented with ascorbic acid? Here is a copy of the post from June that recommended using it for water that has chloramine in it. The amount recommended is 1/4 tsp powder for several gallons of water. I am looking for more precise measurements. I got capsules that have granules in them for 500 mg. each. I can open these and pour the granules into the water. But I don't know how much and if the water needs to set overnight to evaporate the chlorine. I will attempt to do some research.

Karin, a note to you at the bottom of this post.
Here is an excerpt from the June post:

" davidrt28 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 14:10
NB that a chloramine neutralizer might be sodium thiosulphate, which is fine for fish in moderation but could be undesirable if used repeatedly on plants. If you are really concerned about this, better to use a filter of some kind (not all carbon filters remove chloramine as well as plain chlorine though). Or buy some cheap ascorbic acid ("Vitamin C") on ebay, 1/4 teaspoon should neutralize the chloramine in several gallons of tap water.
Chloramine may or may not actually be the problem, even assuming it is something in the water. Most soilless mixes should have a fairly high reductive capacity and partly neutralize it. That being said I have observed certain plants grow better on rain water, but remember it's not just chloramine that is in municipal tap water. No matter what disinfectant is used, all municipal water systems in the western world add soda ash or sodium hydroxide or a similar alkali substance, to get the pH up to 8 or even 9. This is to prevent deterioration of pipes and leaching of toxic lead. ..."
Karin, on that thread, you posted a photo of a plant. Now that I know more about damage caused by the water conditioner used in fish tanks, it does look like your plant was beginning to look like it had some damage in the tiny, tight crown and the elongated petioles on the older leaves.
On my plants that had extremes of that damage, the crowns are very small and tight and the petioles extremes
elongated.

I switched to bottled spring water a few months ago. So far, four older plants completely died. I did not take leaves in time and the grower no longer offers the plants. A few smaller plantlets and some leaf starts died. Many younger plants that had very tight crowns have not grown out yet but seem to be doing better. At least not getting worse.
started to grow out.

That is my update.
Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Sun, Oct 19, 14 at 17:35

Comments (17)