SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherryazure

Woeisme - anyone HELP! Betta with one eye

sherryazure
18 years ago

buldging. Just as I was about to post about 'successful' transfer from his Betta 2 gallon container to the 'community' 20 gallon - 3 bronze cories, one mystery fish either non descript tetra or perhaps rhasbora (sorry for sp) planted with java ferns and anuibias.

Betta and tetra found equalibrian, and seemed to play with each other (in their own manner, lol) when I released this beautiful half moon white/pink boy. (well to me anyway, considered scrap by breeders) I was so happy for him, swimming with the tetra, with the cories, sleeping at night in the plant 'nest' I had prepared for him on left side of tank near top with driftwood.

Then on Sat early morn, I look at fish. (One reason why I wanted him in flat faced glass is to see him better for you can't really see well in bowls or cylinder tanks due to distortion.)

UgH! One eye slightly buldging out. My stomach sinks.

I have spent two days now researching as I am not sure if pop eye or injury. I did notice he would wedge himself between anubias batteria (sp) plant leaf that was near glass. ie he would try to swim down where leaf was next to glass and then get frozen (I gently moved leaf for him to extracate himself, but he would repeat this rather then swim up right or left) Could he have injured his eye.

When I got him about two weeks ago, the ph from the store was not near 6.0 even. I took one day to slow drip water to his holding tank, perhaps still too fast. My water is great, everything zero, 3 day aged and extra filtered, pet stores was horrific and cold.

Did research and not sure what to treat with. Many different choices, based on what and without miscroscope can't identify exact 'bug'. Now in quarantine filtered tank with aquarium salt and a bit of epsons'. (figured diff properties) and with General Cure which has metronidazole in it (along with copper sulfate, and trichlorfon). I read and read, and not sure if made correct choice but also local store and other had not to many choices.

Some sites say this - some say that. NO one seems to agree but due to various possible causes I can understand the confusion and diff succesful choices or not. Am going to call aquarium pharma Monday to ask their opinion. Only one eye, his left, but getting a bit more extended..

He is very active, as if nothing wrong, still eating like a pig, (or rather would if he could, feed twice daily) can still see I think as he still follows my finger with both eyes (who really knows though).

I have never had a fish with this, and along with dropsy I hoped never to have to deal with. ( read where ph changes can cause osmoregulartory problems with eyes???)

What to do... Thanks for any and all help. Sherry

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County