SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vero_gw

Aquarium and water damages

Vero
19 years ago

Hi,

I'm new! I'm quite happy to see there is and aquarium forum here (I like lurking on the gardenweb forums). I hope you can help me.

I got an aquarium for xmas. It's a used 20gallons (80 liters) aqarium that used to house koi (I guess they grew out of it). I'm quite excited about it. I've bought a book on freshwater aquariums and did quite a bit of looking at fish and equipment during the holidays.

I've been talking about getting one for a while but had sort of decided I would wait a bit. My reason was: the landlords. I live upstairs from them, in a house. My lease specifies no animals allowed. I understand from them that the main problem is the tenant next door from me who is quite allergic to cats and dogs. So I kind of think they wouldn't mind too much about fish. After all, it's quiet, not messy and I really don't think it would cause a problem for the other tenant. So I went to ask permission to install it. The problem is that my lanlord is quite worried about anything that concerns water. He is afraid of damages if my tank exploded and 20 gallons ended up on the floor and then on his ceilings. I have insurances that could cover damages of that kind, but I sense that I should avoid getting into that kind of trouble.

My question is: should I worry about my tank exploding? Should I take the chance or forget it and turn it into a terrarium? How often have you heard of people having water damages caused by their aquarium? I've heard about leaking and I get the feeling that it happens quite often. When a tank leaks, does it empty itself fast or can I have a chance of seeing the little leak before all the water ends up on the floor? I'm thinking that if leaking is common maybe I should put my tank on one of those metal stands that I could put in a rubbermaid box that would contain the water in the event of a leak(there are clear ones; it would look weird but worth it if it avoids troubles). I've also read that aquariums that have been used for fish and then let dry for a while are quite risky.

Your opinions, stories, comments and ideas are welcome

Thanks in advance

Veronique

Comments (13)

Sponsored