SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
growchemome_gw

Letting a perinnial Set Seed for the next year?

9 years ago

Hi everyone :)

I'm very new to perinnial plants and I had a question about letting the plant reseed for the next season. I've tried to read up on the plants we chose to grow in our landscaping this year, but I'm a little confused when I come across something in regards to deadheading or removing spent blooms. Sometimes it will say something about leaving a few blooms or sed pods (or something like that) to allow it to develop seed for the next season. I'm worried I did something wrong already.

With the Stella de Oro lily as well as the Asiatis lilies i remove the spent blooms just under the fading flower and then when the bloom season ended I just snipped off the top "crown" where the stems for the blooms branched away from the center stem? Was that the correct thing to do?

I also have some balloon flowers and I read to just snip or pinch about 1/4" below the faded bloom. Is that correct and what do I need to do at the end of the blooming season? I'm not sure if I leave a few blooms to "reseed" or if that's what you do if you want to gather seeds to replant. Or, do you just trim them off and leave it like the lilies? I'm just not sure what I should do with these?

Also, if anyone knows of a good resource like a book or something I might be able to find on specific information for the flowers such as where and went to remove spent blooms, deadheading, pruning, etc that would be awesome! I can find the info online but usually there's no visual to show where exactly to cut or pinch or specifics on when.

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can offer some advice or guidance!

Comments (4)