SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
puchinita5

small flowers, artificial light, burned leaves, winter, questions

Puchinita5
9 years ago

Hi, I have a few different questions I'm hoping some of you could help me with.

First, and probably the easiest, I have an AV with a leaf that looks burned (I suspect it had been damaged in shipping and after a few days only that one leaf turned brown). About half the leaf is burned and the rest still looks healthy. The violet is extremely symmetrical so I hate to completely remove the leaf, but I suspect it's not good to leave it on the plant either, can I just cut the burned part off? Is it okay to cut the brown off and then trim the leaf into a normal shape?

Second, I live in Chicago with south facing windows. Even though they are south facing, I don't think they get as much light as you would think because my violets have done very well without any blinds during the summer. However, now as fall is approaching, I think they are starting to not get enough light. A couple of my violets are blooming very small flowers compared to normal, and I have a Sinningia whose leaves are pointing upward (and strangely, the flowers are blooming kinda downward, I'm not sure why, it's my first Sinningia and this is the first time it has started to bloom)

I started growing violets this year, so I'm not quite sure what to do when the light decreases in the winter. I feel like I need to start supplementing the light with artificial. I have fluorescent lights in my kitchen under my kitchen cabinets, so I can place the flowers under them. I'm not sure how many watts they are. They would be about a foot away from the bulbs, maybe less.

I'm wondering if it sounds like a good idea to place my violets under these lights at the end of the day for a few hours?

Any other tips on caring for my violets as fall and winter approaches?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!