SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saffireyin

Curling and Cracking leaves?

saffireyin
11 years ago

I am an AV newbie that has been attempting to take care of two varieties (both are noids), which I got from a local florist. I've had one for a month, and another for about 3 weeks.

The first variety I had propagated most of the leaves, but the original crown plant didn't seem to do well, so I decided to throw it away after about 3 weeks. The details for that is here: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/afrviolet/msg08170400507.html?3

I also had a leaf curling down issue but I think it was because the water was too cold. It hasn't happened anymore after I changed it.

But now, with the second variety, ALL the leaves on the main plant (not counting propagated leaves) are curling down, and are more wavy, after repotting. I had repotted this one a day after the soil dried out and started showing signs of drooping (was too busy before, but it bloomed and thrived then), so was this a mistake? This plant looked so healthy when I got it. Here are the before and after pictures:

Before - Store bought version (Sorry for the blurriness!):

{{gwi:375008}}

After - Repotted:

{{gwi:375010}}

{{gwi:375011}}

{{gwi:375012}}

I only opened the curtains for lighting for the camera, but let the plants get indirect west sunlight. I use part dehumidifier water and part tap water. I have noticed a bad smell coming from around my plants since I started using the dehumidifier water though. However, not all of them smell (mainly my propagated leaves), only the ones with the original crown. I also use Bluebird Greenhouse's AV soil and Fafard Horticultural Perlite.

What do you experienced growers think? I really want to learn how to be a successful AV grower (although not for show...not enough confidence, time, or money for that lol!). Thank you in advance!

Comments (14)