SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ridonkulus_gw

JD X304 cranks but won't turn over.

ridonkulus
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Would appreciate any help on this:

Recently did maintenance for winter storage on my X304 that has 59 hours on it. Changed oil, cleaned air filter, and topped off the tank with fresh stabilized fuel.

Went to start it the other day and wouldn't crank and weak headlights.

Installed brand new battery.

Now robust crank and strong headlight beam. I believe I hear a clicking noise. Smell gas fumes, BUT won't turn over.

Installed new fuel filter.

Strong crank, but still won't turn over.

Installed new spark plugs.

Strong crank, but still won't turn over.

Checked seat safety. Checked mower engagement safety. These don't seem to be the problem. When safeties for these are engaged, the engine doesn't crank. In this case, the engine cranks.

Checked air filter and looks clean and installed properly.

Hypothesis: flooded engine. (I never crank for more than a few seconds at a time). Poked some towel paper into cylinder and came out dry. Don't believe its flooded.

Hypothesis: no fuel getting into cylinder. So I squirted 5 cc gasoline into the cylinders. Again, strong crank, but still won't turn over.

The only thing left on the JD manual is "Electrical Problem". I checked the fuses and all 3 have that wavy metal bridging piece intact. Brake pedal is depressed. Mower is disengaged. Battery terminals are clean. Key switch seems to work (operates light and starter).

There is one last thing the manual refers to..."Fusible Link is blown - See your JD dealer". Not sure if this is the cause.

I'm at a loss.

Would appreciate any help/suggestions/advice!

Thanks

ridonkulus

Comments (20)

Sponsored
More Discussions