SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jqpublic_gw

Slime flux (ignorable or bad?)

jqpublic
15 years ago

So once upon a time someone mother nature sprouted two Southern red oaks right together. Fast forward 50-75 years and now the two trees have started to fuse together at the base. Starting last year the tree/trees began oozing a stinky sap (slime flux from what I understand) from the place where the two trees touch. I know this happens due to stress...we had a late freeze last year where the trees lost 75% of its leaves. Well of course they grew back fine, but I started noticing the flux last spring after the freeze. The freeze was followed by an extended drought. Now into year 2 I am still seeing the slime at the base of the trees. The smaller of the 2 is starting to makes a lot of leaves lower down on the trunk. Do you think it is doing that b/c it is stressed? It still has all its leaves on the top, and no visibly dead branches. Should I leave it be...or cut the smaller tree down. Small is a relative word in this case b/c they are both big trunks, and they are in the middle of the yard and surrounded by our house and other trees of interest. What's the verdict?

Here is a pic of the trees, from a couple years ago...we've added more around them since.

{{gwi:381547}}

Thanks!

Comments (4)