SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fame_da_lupo

Summer planting (London plane)

fame_da_lupo
9 years ago

Hi all, I'm looking for some guidance on planting a tree. Unfortunately, I must plant a tree this month (June) -- I'm visiting my father, who would like a tree planted but cannot do so himself in the cooler seasons, as the common wisdom suggests is best. Long story.

So, wanting to maximize success that the tree (we want a London plane) overcomes transplant stresses, I have some question.

(1) Guides suggest unwinding the rootball and shaking out the container soil, replacing it with the unamended soil from the spot where the tree will be planted -- is this recommended during the summer, while the plant is active? Or will it damage the roots? Do you attempt to remove the container soil when you plant?

(2) Will the roots be able to absorb enough water to compensate for 90-100 degree heat? I'm considering a tree-gator or some such form of drip system.

I know these things are probabilistic and there are no guarantees, I'm just trying to maximize the chance of success. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (2)