SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zoulas

JD X500 First time deck removal

14 years ago

I wanted to remove the deck after the season to clean and lubricate it. According to the manual, it looks REAL EASY! I followed the instrauction to lower it to the lowest point. Removed the mower drive belt. Placed the 4 mini wheels sideways. Unhooked the front portion of the deck. So far this all took 10 minutes. I figured, wow this is not bad at all. Then came the rear J-BOLTS. You are supposed to simply pull them out and over. I attempted to pull them. Nothing doing. Too tight. I finally loosened the bolt (to the j-bolt) and removed the small springs. At this point I thought, OK now they have to come out. NO WAY! They were tight beyond beleif. Three hours later with some hammering, I finally got them out. Putting the deck back was easy but it seemed the j-bolts had a type of lip in the front (probably for safety), and I has to play with the deck lift mechanism to get the j-bolts in.

My question is this: why was it so difficult? What did I do wrong? Is it normal to have to remove the bolt from the j-bolt to get them off?

Any detailed description of what happened here would be appreciated.

Thanks, Aristotle Zoulas

Comments (7)