SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamiedolan_gw

Just had to get one... Varigated Norway

jamiedolan
12 years ago

I've never seen one in person, never found a nursery that offers one. I first heard of this tree when I saw Ken's Photos and loved it. I have no idea where to plant it. When I heard of a somewhat local nursery that had them, the first price I saw for them was kind of high but I was tempted. I talked to them today, and they offered it to me for a price I could not pass up. I was on the road headed to get one 10 minutes later. I had to drive 2 hours to get it.

There was a bit of rabbit damage around the graft, but it is mostly healed and looking good. Roots at surface look good not girdled. He guaranteed it. I paid $20.

I absolutely love it! I wish it could stay right where it is so I could look at it out the kitchen window all the time. (I wonder if he could graft one of these variegated onto a more restrictive root stock like Korean? to limit it's size so it could be grown in locations with less space)

It's an awesome specimen tree, no one else anywhere around here has anything like it.

{{gwi:380571}}

{{gwi:380572}}

{{gwi:380573}}

He has the princton gold maples too -- I love those also.

He also has some bloodgood's that look really nice, he has been growing them there, and he grafted them onto Korean root stock so they are more hardy. I was going to give up on Japanase maples after my Crimpson Princess died this year, but since his are grown locally and proven hardy, I'm tempted to try one, they are healthy and pretty full, around 5' tall $48.

Picked up a 4' sugar maple for $12 too, since they are pretty shade tolerant, I think I can find a spot for it.

Jamie

Here is a link that might be useful: Nursery I got it from

Comments (9)