SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spitfire_01

What is wrong with this tree (Jap maple?) *pics*

spitfire_01
15 years ago

This spring I noticed that one of our trees did not produce leaves on several branches. I would hate to lose the tree. Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this?

We moved to this house about 3 years ago, and this tree was already mature. I'm not sure how old it is. The tree sits on the east side of the house and has seemed to thrive until now.

I honestly don't know what kind of tree this is. Most neighbors call it a Japanese maple. Is that correct?

The largest dead branches are in the middle; however, I have found smaller dead branches all over the tree. They do not appear concentrated on one main limb.

View of dead branches:

{{gwi:380478}}

Another view:

{{gwi:380479}}

One limb has severely cracked bark with little black holes or pock marks. However, none of the large, dead branches stem from this limb.

{{gwi:380481}}

A small section of leaves has spots:

{{gwi:380482}}

Full view from other side (see how sparse it looks):

{{gwi:380483}}

This is the first year that I have planted flowers at the base of the tree, but I did not dig deeply into the soil around the roots to set out those annuals.

I have only found 2 small branches with curled, brown leaves. For the most part, these limbs never produced leaves this spring. They must have died earlier.

The only insects that I have seen on this tree are spiders ... lots and lots of spiders. They have built fine webs throughout the center of the tree.

We live in the Southeast and last year received the double whammy of a late frost and a summer drought. Could this be the repercussions of the drought?

Thanks for any advice,

Nin

Comments (3)