SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

making progress but still need some guidance

njitgrad
10 years ago

Earlier this month I finished my 3-bin compost system and have started filling the first bin.

I have added kitchen scraps as well as a very nice fine mixture of lawn (and leaf) clippings on two separate occasions. The leaves on the trees near my house are small so it's perfect for the mower to suck them up and chop them up.

So now the questions I have are:

1) When do I STOP filling Bin 1 and start on Bin 3 (this would leave Bin 2 as my turning bin). Is there a certain time limit? Bin 1 already looks rather full (see pic below) but it naturally compacts down a little bit daily. I know that the composting process is working because every time I put kitchen scraps in Bin 1, I make a hole in the middle of the pile with my pitchfork, add the scraps, then re-cover the pile. Each time I do that I see steam coming out of the pile and I can feel the heat.

2) Should I be jabbing at the pile in Bin 1 every day or so and moving as much as I can around or is it meant to be left alone?

3) Assuming I started composting Oct 1st, what is generally the earliest date and latest date I should be ready to move the contents into Bin 2?

4) In Bin 3 I plan on adding JUST leaves for a leaf mold compost. Is this how one makes such a compost? Or do all composts need SOME greens?

{{gwi:310181}}

Comments (10)