SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfanatic2003

Results of last fall's experiment....

gardenfanatic2003
16 years ago

Last fall, I covered some of my beds with coffee grounds mixed with chopped leaves, and lightly scratched them into the soil. I wanted to see if this would make a difference in the soil (these particular beds had hard-packed clay) and if the plants would do better this year.

The plants did not do any better, but with the April hard freeze, I'm not sure that it would be fair to assess their performance in relation to the coffee grounds/leaf additions. My sister's plants did worse this year, and she didn't do anything different with her soil.

I couldn't tell any difference in the soil, but one thing that I noticed a HUGE difference in was the number of worms in the soil. It was like wormapalooza! I've never seen that many worms in my soil!

I'm convinced it was the coffee grounds that did it. I had 2 compost piles that I constructed last fall with strictly leaves, coffee grounds, and horse manure. No grass clippings, because we had such a drought, that by the end of summer, there was no grass growing to be mowed. So I had to improvise in order to have some compost this spring. Those compost piles were filled with big fat worms this spring. I don't normally find that many worms in my compost.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the results of my experiment. So I'm going to again mulch my beds with the coffee grounds/chopped leaves mixture this fall. Lots of trips to Starbucks will be in order. I already started this evening, and will probably be doing daily pickups for the next month.

Deanna

Comments (6)