SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
axel_hb

Experimenting with old fashion storage apples - 1st set of result

Axel
15 years ago

One of the attributes of apples that have appealed to me a great deal is their ability to store. In fact, "legend" has it that many old time apples were selected because of their ability to store for a long time and retain good flavors. Indeed, when I browsed through books that describe old apple varieties, many of the varieties appear to be almost inedible at harvest time, yet mellow to wonderful flavors after a while in storage.

Before trying this experiment, most of my results with "storing" apples involved mostly mealy and bland, inedible apples, To make matters worse, for whatever reason, commercial storage seems to destroy apple flavor altogether. Sure, they still look good, but they taste like cardboard.

So with a great deal of skepticism, I went ahead and found myself an old 18 cu feet freezer chest that someone generously donated, and I bought an external thermostat that I plug in the wall to keep the freezer chest at 33-36F. And I went ahead and filled the chest with a plethora of classic storage apples, including old time favorites like york, waltana, October Gravenstein, wikson crab, Katherine, Oliver, the list goes on and on.

Now it's been about 6 weeks, and I have to say, so far, I am not only impressed, but I am totally blown away by the amazing flavors that have developed in these apples. Many are not ready to eat, but I've already cherry picked what appeared ready, and let me tell you, WOW!!!

No words can begin to describe the amazing flavors I am encountering. It's like a concert of delicious flavors, including hints of quince, rose, and other flavors I can't even begin to describe - maybe someone who's into wine tasting could come up with the right descriptors. These flavors were nonexistent when I ate ripe specimens right off the tree. in fact, the tree ripened fruit were far worse than what I am getting out of the refrigerator chest.

The bottom line is that a freezer chest running as a refrigerator somewhere just above freezing seems to do amazing things to apples, as if they were cave aged to perfection.

All I can say is anyone growing apples in their backyard needs to try this. It's amazing, and gives apples a whole new dimension.

I don't know what it is about commercial storage that turn apples to cardboard, my guess it's got something to do with nitrogen storage, and the fact that the apples are picked long before they've reached enough maturity to develop all the flavors. Maybe someone else can chime in and explain what is happening. The apples out of my refrigerator chest taste nothing like commercial apples. And I even have golden delicious, red delicious, mutus and jonathans in there that are still getting better. The golden delicious are so sweet that they taste like quince jelly, yummmm.

Comments (28)