SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Only too much is ever enough

melissa_thefarm
10 years ago

Let me just set aside reason and common sense for a moment, and confess that this is my gardening motto. Actually yesterday I made a double happy discovery. 1: 'Brenda Colvin', the R. filipes hybrid that I rooted a couple of seasons ago and planted last fall at the base of a black locust, is growing like mad. The locust went and died, and anyway after my adventure with the locust that had 'Treasure Trove' growing up it and that split in a storm has made me wary of locusts. But there's an ex-Christmas tree planted by our predecessors right beside the dead locust that has made excellent growth in the last twelve years and looks like it ought to be able to support a good deal of rose. Like all R. filipes kin 'Brenda Colvin' bids fair to be a house eater: just exactly what I want.
2: 'La Mortola' has finally started to grow. I got this rose own root years ago from Nino San Remo and it sat in a terraced bed in the shade with too little soil and bided its time. Last year DH rebuilt the terracing and added soil, and evidently LM liked the change, because this year it has reached about 10' x 12', mostly new growth, and is still on the move. It has a terrace wall it can spread itself out on, with a railing above we can tie it to. But if it can get big enough to get into the neighboring bay laurel, I won't object.
R. moschata is growing at last. 'Mme. Antoine Mari' is about 7' x 10' and has never stopped flowering this summer. 'Duchesse d'Auerstaedt', that marvelous rose, is putting out strong new growth. So is 'Treasure Trove', unfortunately, given that we haven't yet hauled it up on the pergola my husband built for after the black locust collapsed. It's too hot for that kind of work. R. helenae down in the big garden is well launched on its task of covering its shed. 'Venusta Pendula' is growing well and looks likely to cover its bridge pergola in a few years. I've been terracing the ground up around R. longicuspis in the shade garden, adding great chunks of clay, and hope to give it enough soil to thrive, as it hasn't up to now, and possibly climb into its flowering ash as planned, though this is a heavily foliaged tree. The double white Lady Banks on the pergola in the shade garden is a monster, and its sister the double yellow, in starved conditions, looks like it's beginning to take hold as well.
I LOVE huge roses. We have the perennial problem of not having trees able to support them, but I'm thinking seriously of beginning to spread them around outside the gardens into the woods here and there. But we've found ways. And these tree eaters, the species ramblers and their hybrids: get them up into a good tree or onto a roof or pergola, and they're set for life. They satisfy my hunger and thirst for more and still more roses. In this one area I'm greedy, but it's a harmless greed, as far as I can tell, perhaps even a beneficial one, as where the roses are now growing before there were only weeds. They cool the air and fill it with fragrance, offer food and protection to birds, establish conditions favorable for trees to seed, sequester carbon, and do this with no fertilizer and, after the first year, no watering. I haven't yet seen them seed themselves around.
Melissa

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County