SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

Most beautiful butterfly feeding on my chaste tree's flowers

14 years ago

I have two of these trees, and one of them I did not prune back the extra suckers last year. So now this one looks more like a shrub than a muliti trunked tree.

It has grown to 7 feet wide and about 6 feet tall.

It has been loaded with flowers for about a week now, and for the first time this evening, I just noticed that a huge orange winged butterfly, and some honey bees have discovered the tree.

In the past 3 years since I first planted these trees I kept them pruned back to only 2 or three trunks and only bumble bees seemed to have discovered them.

Not sure, maybe since we have had almost a week full of triple digit high temp days, some of the regions flowers that honey bees and butterflies need have wilted and they had to come from farther away to discover my chaste trees.

In the past few years maybe because I never grew either one of them to such large shrub size. which would attract butterflys or even honey bees, is why I never saw them not even feeding any of my other landscape flowers.

Since there have been so many reports on decreased numbers of the honey bee population, and since last year I saw postings which discussed the decrease in the butterfly populations in my state; I am now very glad to see that these few beneficial pollinators, along with a lot more than normal of the bumble bees are able to find the food they need on my chaste tree.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?