SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hillfarm_gw

A GT as a cheap compact utility?

hillfarm
17 years ago

Hi. I've been impressed with the response and readership on this forum, so hopefully this inquiry will be worthwhile!

I have a new place with 2 acres of tillable fields that I plan to explore as a hobby farm in the next few years for fruit and cut flower production. (I may re-clear another 2 acres of old orchard.) I plan to have a greenhouse built (not by me) for annual prep. I also have about 1 acre of varied, landscaped yard including a tiny pond plus tree and building obstructions. None of the land is regular. Much is sloped, part is quite sloped (good drainage for fruits, but possibly difficult for machinery).

In the future I'd like to try to turn this into a small retail business.

I currently have an old 30hp International Utility (circa 1960) with a converted 3pt hitch and a 48" rear mower. I plan to purchase a used 2-bottom plow and middle buster for field prep and trench digging for planting. I'm crossing my fingers that it will hold up!

What I need is another machine for tilling, mowing both fields and lawn, hauling gardening loads, spreading, and possibly pulling a sprayer (although I'll probably do that on foot).

Considering that I am starting from scratch, I want to control my expenses. My question is whether anyone thinks a good garden tractor could adequately serve all my needs?

It seems to me that there should be a GT that can adequately pull a tiller AND cut my yard. Moreover, with anticipated rows of brambles, trees, and trellised vines in my future, I figured that a narrow GT might allow me to plant more narrowly (smaller between row distances) and still be able to navigate through the rows for mowing, cover crop planting & tilling, spraying, harvesting, etc. (My antique tractor is definitely too big.) I also have a leach field to mow, where a GT should be fine.

I've looked online at such GT's as Simplicity's Prestige or Legacy XL and Kubota's GR series, but I'm not sure that they're up to the tasks. (And they're both surprisingly wider than Kubota's BX series.)

Any thoughts? GT recommendations? Comments from experience? Is this just incompatible madness?

I'm worried I'll have troubles on slopes. Or I'll damage my lawn with rough tires or have no traction to pull a tiller. Or maybe GTs just aren't rugged enough or not flexible enough.

What I want to avoid is right away spending $20K on two machines instead of, say, $7-10K on one that could do it all for me - at least for the first several years.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County