SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
effdeevee

Stewartia,... planted in stone, tree-ring

effdeevee
15 years ago

Dear Forum Members:

I think I may have a big problem!!!!!!!!

A few days ago, I bought a 7ft - 8ft Stewartia pseudocamellia tree that was growing in a 10- gallon container. The tree was bought at a local nursery in the Westchester, NY. area.

I want to plant this tree on top of my concrete patio, within a stone, tree-ring, that I will construct. The patio is about 15ft. square, and is about 20" above the sidewalk level. It gets full sun exposure most of the year, and, because of all the thick concrete construction, it stays pretty warm after being heated by the sun. So warm, in fact, that I can't use the patio for sitting and relaxing. I plan to make the tree-ring with an inner diameter of roughly 5-1/2 ft, and about 16" - 18" deep. This giant "container" will be filled with a rich, acidic, quick-draining soil. In addition, since the stones used to construct the walls will be stacked only, no mortar, excess water will seep out from all the cracks between these stones, aiding in drainage.

Questions:

Since the root-growing zone will be limited, is there enough soil volume to support this tree? My best guess is that there will be a few hundred cubic feet/gallons of soil. I plan to limit the size of the tree by occasional pruning, so this tree will not be allowed to grow too large. I see Japanese Maples planted in tree-rings all the time, so why not a Stewartia?

Will the soil volume be sufficient to prevent the root-zone from freezing, and killing the tree? Will the concrete patio/porch act as a giant, "heat-sink" and keep the root-zone warm and prevent the roots from freezing? In Winter, the coldest nights get down between 5*F - 15*F, but it usually stays in the high teens to low 20s. Daytime temps are usually higher, and can go into the 30s and 40s. Mostly nighttime temps. dip to 20*s and 30*s, or higher.

I'm worried about the survival of this tree, even though the books say it will take zone-5 temps. The root zone is my worry! Is 16"-18" of soil enough to keep this tree "happy" ... or, should I make the walls higher???

Please give me some advise, ....and, QUICK! I need to build this tree-ring, fill it with soil, and, get this tree planted, BEFORE Fall-'08 arrives. I cannot return the tree, and I have no other place to plant it, except on top of the concrete patio.

Any suggestion you can offer will be appreciated, greatly.

Ccordially yours,

Frank DV, from: DA-BRONX

Comments (8)