SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scott99_gw

LX280 Engine Surge...I've tried most everything

scott99
15 years ago

JD LX280 18 HP Kawasaki

Engine has been surging for at least a year now. Started out by using a carb cleaner in the gas. Next went to Seafoam in the gas. I have replaced the fuel filter, air filters, and spark plugs. I have also taken the carb off and soaked it all night in Seafoam. I then took the carb completely apart, blew everything out and double checked that everything was clean and free flowing. The carb looked great. It still surges at WOT, with and without the PTO going. If I remember correctly, if I get into some taller grass and the engine has to work harder, the surging goes away. It will also go away while mowing for about 5-10 seconds at a time, but there is no pattern. I've played with the adjustments on the carb but I really don't know what I'm doing. The pilot srew (what the parts catalog says) does nothing, It is currently set in a halfway point. If I adjust the other screw (idle screw???) it seems to help with the surging, but I cannot idle down. I am at a loss. Anyone have any more suggestions?

Scott

Comments (18)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions