SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
j4racin

Throttle on Honda GCV160 engine only runs wide open

j4racin
15 years ago

I have Honda HRT216S3DA powered by GCV160 engine. The engine serial # is GJAE1576258. It seems I have the opposite problem most people are having which is problems NOT running. Mine fires up on the first pull and it revs very high (sounds like it's about to explode). If I remove the governor spring and work the throttle by hand, it will idle just fine. If I hook the governor spring back up, it runs wide open (faster than normal high speed) regardless of the throttle lever position. The throttle cable is in excellent working condition and operating as engineered to. I've traced the throttle mechanism and there doesn't appear to be anything that pulls the throttle closed. I've found the spring that pulls the throttle open, but nothing that pulls the lever back to the idle position. Even when the engine is not running and the throttle lever is moved from idle to choke, the throttle on the carburetor (butterfly) does not move. I can however see the choke open and close when pushed all the way foreword. All of the springs are in place as far as I can tell.

Additionally, I have removed the carb and checked the float and cleaned the inside removing the main nozzle, jet needle valve etc. There is no gas in the oil or coming out of the muffler. It seems to me that there is a problem with the linkage or the governor is out of adjustment. I have tried everything I can think of and nothing works. I even went to Home Depot and compared the workings on the control base of a new one with mine and nothing different stood out. Do you have any ideas or suggestions on what it may be?

Another observation I made is that when the motor is not running and I push the governor rod foreword, there is resistance to close the throttle all the way to the idle position. I donÂt believe the problem is in the carburetor since it starts on the first pull and runs well at high and low speeds. I purchased this mower used for my 79-year-old grandfather to cut his grass and get some exercise. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Charlotte, NC

Comments (26)