SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

My favorite mulch this season

aachenelf z5 Mpls
12 years ago

Shredded leaves!

Last fall I collected bags of shredded leaves from a friend, saved them over winter and spread them this past May. Since they were stored outside in the snow, they were kind of moldy and wet when I took them out of the bag, but that's what happens to organic material. I still used it.

I originally spread them to a depth of about 4 inches. They've now decomposed to about 1 inch, but they certainly did the trick this summer. Since these leaves were shredded pretty fine, they packed densely which almost completely prevented any weed growth of any kind. Light couldn't reach the soil, so weed seeds didn't germinate. Even the awful red, creeping oxalis never made an appearance where I used shredded leaves. Water had no trouble soaking through the leaves and they really held in the moisture.

By next spring, the leaves will have completely decomposed and added a nice (but thin) layer of organic material to my beds. The look may not have been as pleasing as more traditional mulches, but I didn't mind it. Of course the biggest selling point was that it's FREE! I'm going to snatch up every bag I can find this fall.

Kevin

{{gwi:262206}}

Comments (12)