SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

Herbs, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, and green onions

bookjunky4life
14 years ago

I received some herbs from auntyara. Can I ws the perennial herbs now (thyme, oregano, garlic chives)? The annuals are cilantro, italian parsley, basil mammoth, and dill. Can they ben ws now?

I have some of those aluminum lasagna pans with the clear lids. Would those work for the herbs? Will they stand transplanting?

I've not grown herbs before. Which of these herbs need to be deadheaded in order to harvest them? Do you just use them fresh or do they have to be dried like what you buy in the stores?

I also would like to WS lettuce. My only experience previously growing lettuce was iceberg head lettuce by direct sowing it in my garden. Quite a bit of it sprouted and grew but it bolted really quickly. I really like romaine lettuce, not sure if its head or leaf. I read that the leaf lettuces can be bitter? I believe that it can be HOS into the ground? When I move, I'd like to build a small raised bed for the herbs and lettuce. Can lettuce be WS now?

Tomatoes. I have grown many, many tomatoes, but from already boughten small plants, not seeds. I assume these may need started on the windowsill so that they will grow big enough so that I can harvest tomatoes by mid-summer. If so, do I just surface sow in MG potting mix and keep moist? cover with plastic vented?

Green peppers. I love thick-walled green and colored peppers. I love them baked, grilled, raw, however. About four seasons ago, I had really good luck growing them from bought plants in the garden but they weren't really thick-walled. Last three years or so, nothing. So I guess I have the same questions for growing them from seed as I do the tomatoes.

Green onions. I love these on chicken nachos. I think they might also be called scallions? I'm pretty sure I tried to grow some scallion seeds by direct sowing in the garden last year but nothing came up. Can these be ws?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County