SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mvx749

JD X749 won't start after new fuel filter (solution)

mvx749
14 years ago

My diesel John Deere X749 ran fine until I replaced the fuel filter. Then it wouldn't start. Kudos to my dealer (Mid-State Equipment, Sauk Prairie, Wisconsin) who was very helpful, letting me talk to a knowledgeable service technician by phone.

The JD X749 engine service manual ("service engine", found at manuals.deere.com) is incomplete and ambiguous (relying on murky, indistinguishable photographs) about this procedure. Here's what you need to know.

- The fuel shut-off valve, located to the right of the Fuel Filter Sediment Bowl, is OPEN when the valve thumb-wing is VERTICAL.

- The documentation confusingly states that the Fuel Filter Locking Collar is removed by turning it counterclockwise -- BUT, you'll be looking at it from behind, so this could be misinterpreted. Just note that the Locking Collar is loosened and tightened like all other typical screws and nuts; and you may need a large plumber's-type wrench to loosen it.

- JD's step 10 says to "install plastic ring and spring in original position" . . . Which means, the plastic ring sitting loose in the bottom of the sediment bowl, and the spring centered vertically over the small post jutting up from the bottom of the sediment bowl.

- JD's step 11 says "install new filter on filter head." The filter head has a short steel line pointing downwards, into the sediment bowl. This line is invisible unless you stick your head well down into the front of the engine. The fuel filter has a hole in one end of it. Position the hole on top when you replace the fuel filter, and firmly slide the fuel filter up and onto the steel line.

- Once you've replaced the fuel filter, you MUST bleed the fuel lines. Bleeding is required even if the fuel filter sediment bowl has already filled with fuel from your frantic starting attempts.

- There is a bleeding pump, located on the left side of the engine from the driving position. The fuel injector is also on the left of the engine, and has 3 steel lines running into its top. The bleed valve is located about 5 inches below the bottom of these fuel injector lines, and facing the front of the engine. It is circular, about 1 inch in diameter, and has a small thumb-wing that is spring loaded. You bleed by pushing this pump thumb-wing down. At first, the spring may be caked with dirt, so the valve may need some gentle help returning to its rest position.

- To bleed the fuel line (this will be messy):

a) Loosen the sediment bowl locking collar until you see some fuel leakage.

b) Pump the bleed valve about 30 times, or until you no longer see bubbles coming from the fuel leaking out the top of the fuel filter sediment bowl.

c) Tighten the locking collar.

d) Continue pumping the bleed valve, another 30 times or more.

- Verify that the fuel shut-off valve is in the open (vertical) position.

- Shut the hood, and start the engine following your normal startup procedure. In my case, it took several tries to get the engine to start.

I hope this saves someone else the embarrassment of screwing up a simple fuel filter change.

I'd jump at an opportunity to work with John Deere's technical writers to improve their user documentation. When I do maintenance on my tractor, I take notes and use these to add clarifications and helpful details to my own versions of the JD manual. It seems there are always some glaring omissions and/or ambiguities in the official documentation.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions